Magical MAY 2010 Top 10 Fantasy Football Defenses
Whether you are able to draft one of these defenses or not, don’t fret. As I said before, your defense isn’t going to a have a major impact on your fantasy draft, but since you have to draft one anyway you might as well be prepared. You may decide to pick a team and ride with them the entire season or pick up my strategy of picking up a defense each week depending on the matchup. Whatever the case may be, just keep in mind that if you don’t get one of the top five or ten defenses, it’s not going to hurt you very much, if at all. Get my updates fast at http://twitter.com/johnnynfl
1. Pittsburgh Steelers- Why not? They have five LB’s who can both get sacks and create turnovers, not to mention Polamalu coming back at safety, two rookie DE/LB’s that could also make an impact, and brought back CB Bryant Mc Fadden to help sure up the secondary. Even my favorite over-rated DT Casey Hampton got some help with the addition of rookie DT Doug Worthington, making this year’s defense one that should again be at the top of the league.
2. Cincinnati Bengals- The Bengals have a young defense that is getting better every year. Their LB’s may not be as good as the Steelers, but Rey Maualuga, Dhani Jones, and Keith Rivers have proven to be pretty good, and the CB combination of Leon Hall and Jonathon Joseph may be the best in the league. Chris Crocker and Chine Ndukwe are also under-rated safeties, and with an improving defensive line, this Bengals defense may just put up some decent numbers this season.
3. San Francisco 49ers- LB Patrick Willis may be the most dominating defender in the game right now, and with Mike Singletary coaching this defense should be very good in 2010. Willis gets help from fellow LB Manny Lawson, who can also rush the passer, and veteran safety Michael Lewis. S Dashon Goldson has also proven to be a pretty good safety and with veteran CB William James recently signing and improving CB Shawntae Spencer, this could be a tough defense to score on.
4. Indianapolis Colts- With the addition of rookie DE/LB Jerry Hughes and rookie CB Kevin Thomas, the Colts improve on a defense that was pretty good to begin with. DE’s Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis are still two of the best in the game and Clint Session has joined Gary Brackett as one of the top LB’s in the league. CB’s Jacob Lacey and Jerraud Powers were very good as rookies, and should continue to get better. If Bob Sanders can come back healthy and team with Melvin Bullitt at safety, this could be a very dangerous defense in 2010.
5. Philadelphia Eagles- DE Trent Cole is one of the most dominating players in the game, and DE Juqua Parker has proven to be no slouch either. Akeem Jordan is an improving talent at LB, and MLB Stewart Bradley will be back from his injury. Throw in rookies Jamar Chaney and Brandon Graham at LB and a secondary that includes CB Asante Samuel and S Quinton Mickell and the Eagles will likely have plenty of sacks and INT’s to add to the fantasy points they are going to get for not giving up very many.
6. Chicago Bears- Okay, so they sucked last year. As long as LB Brian Urlacher can stay healthy, there’s no reason that they can’t come back and again be one of the league’s top defenses. LB Lance Briggs is still as dominant as ever, and LB Hunter Hillenmeyer has proven to be a valuable asset as well. The addition of DE Julius Peppers should play a major role in the Bears improvement, making the job of CB’s Charles Tillman and Zack Bowman much easier, both who have a nose for the ball and can take it away. Add in Danieal Manning and ex-Panther Chris Harris at safety along with ex-Colt Tim Jennings and 2nd year player Al Afalava , and you can see why the Bears should be much improved in 2010.
7. New England Patriots- The Patriots are usually a decent fantasy defense, and this year should be no different. Jerrod Mayo has become a force at LB along with Gary Guyton. Leigh Bodden is one of the most under-rated CB’s in the game, and 2nd year CB Darius Butler is only going to get better. Brandon Meriweather may be the best safety in the league and S Brandon McGowan has played well since coming over from the Bears last season. If the defensive line can stay healthy, the Pats defense should be one of the better defenses this season.
8. Buffalo Bills- DE Aaron Schobel is one of the best DE’s in the league that no one knows about. LB Paul Posluszny is another unheralded player and veteran LB/S Bryan Scott is also a guy with a nose for the ball. Throw in the under-rated Drayton Florence and Reggie Corner at CB and George Wilson and Jairus Byrd at safety and you have the makings of a very good defense. Don’t be surprised to see the Bills defense excel in 2010.
9. Atlanta Falcons- The addition of rookie Sean Weatherspoon at LB could be just what this team needed. Mike Peterson and Curtis Lofton are already two of the best LB’s in the NFL, and the addition of CB Dunta Robinson from the Texans surely won’t hurt. CB Brent Grimes has become one of the best CB’s that nobody knows about and S Thomas DeCoud also proved the critics wrong with an excellent season in 2009. Ex-Jet S Erik Coleman has also been a solid player for the Falcons over the last couple of years, and with an improving defensive line the Falcons defense may surprise some people this year.
10. New York Jets- The Jets signed DE/LB Jason Taylor, who will only add to the abilities of Calvin Pace, David Harris, and the rest of the linebackers and defensive line. Ex-Charger CB Antonio Cromartie will be on the other side of Revis Island, and ex-Brown S Brodney Pool will join Jim Leonhard in the defensive backfield to give Darrelle Revis and the Jets a top 10 defense once again in 2010.
Get instant notification when I post updates to my top fantasy football picks and rankings when you follow me at http://twitter.com/johnnynfl This was as of early June, so you will need to do due diligence to evaluate injuries and such. Take a look and feel free to build your own cheat sheets from this. Be sure to sign up for my Free picks and tips at http://JohnnyNFL.com.