Losing Weight Key For Fish Win Streak

Tommy KeelerCorrespondent IIIAugust 4, 2010

WASHINGTON - AUGUST 03:  Mardy Fish of the USA serves against Viktor Troicki of Serbia during day 2 of the Legg Mason Tennis Classic at the William H.G. FitzGerald Tennis Center on August 3, 2010 in Washington, DC.  (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
Streeter Lecka/Getty Images

Mardy Fish realized time to make a change.
After having knee surgery late last year, the American decided it was time to lose some weight. Before his surgery, which he said was caused by being too heavy, Fish weighed 203 pounds.
He is now down to a slim 170 and it's showing on the courts.
"I feel like a completely different player," Fish said. "I feel like a completely different person on and off the court."
Fish won his 11th consecutive match as he defeated Victor Troicki, 6-4, 6-3, on Tuesday in the Legg Mason Tennis Classic. Fish is coming off tournament wins in Newport and Atlanta this summer.
Fish said he watched his diet better after his surgery, being more careful about what he eats and when he eats.
One of the biggest differences for Fish has come during practices.
"I'm able to train harder, longer," Fish said. "I've always worked hard, but I stop when I'm tired, as most everybody does. Now I don't get tired until longer hours.
"I feel good about the amount of work I put in and how hard it was to do it."
Fish took an early 5-1 lead in the first set, aided by five double faults from Troicki in two service games.
Troicki battled back to within 5-4 and led 30-40 in Fish's next service game. Fish then responded with a service winner, an ace and hit a beautiful backhand down the line to win the set.
In the second set, Fish took an early lead, but Troicki came back again and took a 3-2 lead. Fish broke Troicki for a 4-3 lead. On the first point of the game Fish hit another solid backhand down the line, ending a long spectacular point. On the next point he won a challenge to take a 0-30 lead in the game.
Fish broke again in the final game of the match, on his fourth match point.
Andy Roddick beat Grega Zemlja, 6-4, 6-4 in an hour and 23 minutes.
Roddick broke Zemlja in the fifth game of the first set and made it hold up. The two battled back and forth throughout the second set. Roddick finally got the decisive break in the seventh game after three deuces. Zemlja had five game points, but committed an unforced error on each point.
Roddick, the second seed and three-time winner, won his 30th career match at the Legg Mason.
"You always enjoy going to places where you have good memories," Roddick said. "I enjoy the city. For me it's just a staple in my calendar every year."
John Isner beat Theimo De Bakker, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (8)
Isner won the first when De Bakker double faulted at 7-6 in the tiebreaker. The second was more of the same with each player holding until the tiebreak. Isner trailed 5-1 in the tiebreaker, but rallied to take a 6-5 lead. An unforced error gave Isner a 9-8 lead and he finished off with an ace.
The match ended at 12:35 a.m. and went one hour and 48 minutes.
Third-seeded Fernando Verdasco survived a scare against Michael Berrer, winning 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (6). Verdasco appeared to injure his leg at 6-6 in the tiebreak, but got back up and won the final two points for the match, which lasted two hours and 41 minutes.
In other action, Janko Tipsarevic, Xavier Malisse, Giles Simon and Marin Cilic also won on Tuesday.
Fish is tied with Sam Querrey in the U.S. Open Series standings. The two share a coach and could meet in the quarterfinals. In the round-of-16 on Thursday Fish will play Cilic.
Considering his knee injury last year, Fish is just happy to be playing and enjoying his time on the court.
"My knee feels great. My body feels great," Fish said.