June 29, 2009
This year's oldest and most prestigious tennis grand slam, Wimbledon, take place June 22nd through July 5th. Here are some quick and dirty tips on the event.
- Held at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Wimbledon, London Borough of Merton.
- The Club was founded in 1868 and currently houses 19 Tournament courts.
- This Grand Slam event has been held since 1877 and is played on grass.
- Center Court was built in 1922 and is the fourth largest tennis stadium in the world with a capacity of 15,000. New for 2009 is a retractable roof.
- Court 1 was built in 1997 seats 11,500 and Court 2 has 4,000.
- Players must wear mostly white outfits, brand logos can not be too large.
- Aorangi Park is a place for fans to gather and watch matches on a big screen TV.
- Club is home to a new Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum.
- Will be the center for tennis competition in the 2012 Olympics.
- Winners prize money is £750,000.
- Wimbledon Village home to shops and restaurants is a short distance from the championship courts.
- Public transit is highly encouraged. Closest London Underground is Wimbledon stop on the District line.
- New way for fans to get tickets to the event; Map of the Area.
- Wimbledon web 2.0 iPhone app; Twitter; Facebook;
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!