Hutin's allegation—just one of several shocking claims including credit-card theft and multiple infidelities—have been picked up in several newspapers, according to Eurosport, as Hutin and Hingis, now 32, prepare for divorce:
“On Monday evening, I was in our shared apartment when the doorbell rang. In the course of a dispute, Martina and her mother Melanie Molitor pounced on me - beating and scratching me. My upbringing forbids me to beat women," he told Blick.
"I resisted every effort but Mario Widmer, the partner of Melanie, struck me in the head with a DVD player."
Hutin says he had to call police to recover his credit card and passport from the trio. A police report apparently suggests it was a "violent incident" with Hutin claiming he had received threatening text messages.
Hutin, a showjumper, has now moved into a hotel. He adds that he had already taken her back once after he caught her cheating on him in July, only for it to happen again.
The Hingis family, for their part, appear to have denied the story, with tennis journalist Matt Cronin reporting their response:
Hingis camp on Blick story about alleged assault of ex-husband: "Total nonsense"— Matt Cronin (@TennisReporters) September 25, 2013
Having made a comeback on the WTA doubles circuit this summer, however, Hingis has withdrawn on short notice from a tournament in Tokyo and ended her season.
According to Cronin on Tennis.com, she cited "personal reasons" for pulling out.