Maurice Jones-Drew Avoids Battery Charge

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Maurice Jones-Drew Avoids Battery Charge
Sam Greenwood/Getty Images

Jacksonville Jaguars star Maurice Jones-Drew will not face charges after allegations of battery at a Florida restaurant last month, reports Vic Micolucci of WJXT in Jacksonville.

 

UPDATE: Wednesday, June 26, at 7:30 a.m. ET by Brandon Galvin

Florida Times-Union's Gene Frenette has the latest on Maurice Jones-Drew.

Jones-Drew’s legal woes may not be over because Patrick Canan, the attorney for security guard Kasim Howard, said he will file a civil suit against the Jaguars running back.

Canan noted the evidence standard in a civil trial isn’t 'beyond a reasonable doubt’' but a “preponderance of evidence.’’

'If the state of Florida won’t attempt to seek justice, we will,' Canan said.

---End of update---

 

UPDATE: Tuesday, June 25, at 12:44 p.m. ET by Kyle Vassalo

Jaguars.com's John Oehser Tweeted Maurice Jones-Drew's statement on the matter:

---End of Update---

 

---Original Text---

The alleged incident took place at the Conch House Restaurant in St. Augustine, Fla. TMZ provided the initial report, which stated Jones-Drew struck a security guard after a confrontation with a friend of the Jaguars running back:

After the incident, the security guard spoke with police – and cops noted that the guy's jaw was "swollen a great deal and had a large lump on his jaw bone."

The security guard was hospitalized after the incident – and doctors found contusions and a bone bruise, but no broken bones.

Originally, the St. Augustine Police stated Jones-Drew had been charged with battery in connection with the incident. They later provided an update to TMZ that said that wasn't the case; he was only a person of interest in the investigation.

ESPN passed along a statement from the police department during the investigation. Jones-Drew was said to be cooperating with the probe into the claims:

The police department said in its statement that Jones-Drew "maintains his innocence" and "is cooperating fully with our investigation," which it described as ongoing.

Now, Jones-Drew has avoided being charged in the case, as prosecutors declined to press charges based on the available information.

Micolucci states a request was made to obtain the security footage from the Conch House during the reported scuffle. The station has been unsuccessful so far.

Jones-Drew is coming off a season in which he appeared in only six games for the Jaguars. He rushed for just over 400 yards, marking the first time since 2008 the workhorse back was unable to eclipse the 1,000-yard barrier.

Avoiding charges in this case should allow him to focus completely on getting healthy. He underwent surgery on his left foot near the end of last season for an injury that prevented him from playing a vast majority of the season.

Assuming he gets back to full strength, he should be in the backfield to start 2013 for the Jaguars.

 

Load More Stories

Follow Jacksonville Jaguars from B/R on Facebook

Follow Jacksonville Jaguars from B/R on Facebook and get the latest updates straight to your newsfeed!

Jacksonville Jaguars

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.