NASCAR Sprint Cup standings leader, two-time winner and defending champion Jimmie Johnson headlines the field at the Bojangles Southern 500. The race takes place on Saturday at the Darlington Raceway in Darlington, S.C.
Because of Johnson's recent success, he has to be considered the favorite heading into the race. Another win would make him one of five men with three or more victories in the event.
Here is a look at the race schedule and the lineup that will oppose Johnson.
Information per Yahoo! Sports.
The network covering the event appears in parentheses
6:15 p.m. ET, Driver introductions
6:45 p.m. ET, Race coverage begins (Fox)
7 p.m. ET, Green flag (Fox)
Entries listed by car number, driver and make of vehicle
- No. 1, Jamie McMurray, Chevrolet
- No. 2, Brad Keselowski, Ford
- No. 5, Kasey Kahne, Chevrolet
- No. 7, Dave Blaney, Chevrolet
- No. 9, Marcos Ambrose, Ford
- No. 10, Danica Patrick, Chevrolet
- No. 11, Danny Hamlin, Toyota
- No. 13, Casey Mears, Ford
- No. 14, Tony Stewart, Chevrolet
- No. 15, Clint Bowyer, Toyota
- No. 16, Greg Biffle, Ford
- No. 17, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Ford
- No. 18, Kyle Busch, Toyota
- No. 19, Mike Bliss, Toyota
- No. 20, Matt Kenseth, Toyota
- No. 22, Joey Logano, Ford
- No. 24, Jeff Gordon, Chevrolet
- No. 27, Paul Menard, Chevrolet
- No. 29, Kevin Harvick, Chevrolet
- No. 30, David Stremme, Toyota
- No. 31, Jeff Burton, Chevrolet
- No. 32, Timmy Hill, Ford
- No. 33, Landon Cassill, Chevrolet
- No. 34, David Ragan, Ford
- No. 35, Josh Wise, Ford
- No. 36, J.J. Yeley, Chevrolet
- No. 38, David Gilliland, Ford
- No. 39, Ryan Newman, Chevrolet
- No. 42, Juan Pablo Montoya, Chevrolet
- No. 43, Aric Almirola, Ford
- No. 47, Bobby Labonte, Toyota
- No. 48, Jimmie Johnson, Chevrolet
- No. 51, Regan Smith, Chevrolet
- No. 52, Brian Keselowski, Toyota
- No. 55, Mark Martin, Toyota
- No. 56, Martin Truex Jr., Toyota
- No. 78, Kurt Busch, Chevrolet
- No. 83, David Reutimann, Toyota
- No. 87, Joe Nemechek, Toyota
- No. 88, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Chevrolet
- No. 93, Travis Kvapil, Toyota
- No. 95, Scott Speed, Ford
- No. 98, Michael McDowell, Ford
- No. 99, Carl Edwards, Ford
Whoever takes the checkered flag may have to endure some delays. Per The Weather Channel, there are a few thunderstorms in the forecast that could prevent the race from running on time, or uninterrupted.
Busch was on fire in the run for the pole. He set a track record with a speed of 181.918 mph. Can he repeat this performance on Saturday is the main question?
For now, he's happy with the favorable grid space he earned on Friday.
PHOTO: @KurtBusch is all smiles after winning #CoorsLight Pole. Think he's figured out #TheLadyInBlack? #NASCAR http://t.co/ssJRKEdYoz5/10/2013, 10:55:59 PM
Drivers to Watch
The man in car no. 48 is my pick to win. Not only did he win the race in 2004 and 2012, Johnson has also had seven top-five finishes.
He's simply a beast at Darlington Raceway.
It will be difficult for anyone to best him on Saturday. Johnson did well in qualifying as well and it apparently ruined the Mother's Day weekend for one of his peers.
.@KyleBusch jokes that Johnson ruined the "perfect Mother's Day gift" by qualifying faster than him for #BojanglesSo500 #NASCAR5/10/2013, 10:26:53 PM
This will be Kenseth's 20th race at the Darlington Raceway. He has only one top-five finish, but this race could be different.
He already has two wins in 10 starts this season. He's had a few bad breaks that resulted in DNFs, but aside from that, he's been very consistent.
No one should be surprised to see him race well on Saturday. On top of all that, as a gamer he has one of the coolest sponsors in Gamestop. How good do you think Kenseth really is at Injustice: Gods Among Us?
GameStop Toyota @gamestopracing
Check it out, @mattkenseth matches the car design for the No.18 @InjusticeGame Toyota! http://t.co/ga0Y30gLM35/10/2013, 7:57:51 PM
Edwards trails Johnson in the Sprint Cup standings by just 41 points. His history at the Darlington Raceway isn't quite as good as Johnson's, but he's had decent success.
In nine races on this track, Edwards has finished in the top 10 six times. He's not a bad bet to capture his second win of the season.
Juan Pablo Montoya
JPM is just 25th in the Sprint Cup standings, but he had a great run in the final practice. This is a long shot, but Montoya is the guy that is in position to surprise.
NASCAR Alerts @NASCAR_Alerts
Montoya had fastest lap in final practice for #BojanglesSo500 at @TooToughToTame Check out all the results at http://t.co/fcMyFnoWOI #NASCAR5/10/2013, 7:20:35 PM
Other Interesting Storylines
Danica's in Her Backup Car
A practice wreck has Danica Patrick set to race in her backup car on Saturday. She hit the wall on the second turn and the crash apparently caved in the right side of the vehicle.
This will obviously impact her chances to win. In a practice run with the backup car, she managed only the 38th-fastest time.
Can Tony Stewart Right the Ship in Time to Make the Chase?
The 2011 Sprint Cup Champion is just 22nd in the standings. He has only one top-10 finish this season. If he's going to qualify for the Chase, he needs to step up his game quickly.
Gordon's 700th Start
The great Jeff Gordon will make his 700th career NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start. Win or lose on Saturday, few have accomplished what he has in the sport.
He's just the 15th driver to join the 700 club. He's won seven times at Darlington which is good for third all time.
Follow me for Sports Did You Knows, News and Spirited Opinions