The Hockey Spy adds to the run of playoff predictions out there in cyberspace, tossing you his 20 pesos worth.
My colleague Greg Caggiano (G-Cagg) at The Hockey Writers has a great rundown in his version of playoff predictions.
The Two-Line Pass via Puck Daddy also has interesting take on the upcoming quest for Lord Stanley.
Let's break down the Eastern Conference first.
Eastern Conference (First Round):
Boston Bruins (1) vs. Montreal Canadiens (8)
- Goalies: "The Tank" Thomas > "Shakey" Carey Price
- Defense: Chara & Wideman et al (et al = the rest) >>Markov, Komo, and Schneider et al
- Forwards: Savard, Kessel, Krejci and plenty of depth > Kovalev, Koivu et al
*Fearless Prediction: Bruins in Five
Washington Capitals (2) vs. New York Rangers (7)
- Goalies: "King" Henrik Lundquist >> Theodore
- Defense: Mike Green et al >> Marc Staal et al
- Forwards: Great 8, Semin, Backstrom >>> Drury, Gomez et al
* Fearless Prediction: Caps in Five
New Jersey Devils (3) vs. Carolina Hurricanes (6)
- Goalies: Brodeur > Ward (but closer than you think!)
- Defense: Devils > Canes (only because of Devils defensive team play)
- Forwards: Parise, Elias, Gionta et al > Staal, Whitney, Cole et al (slight advantage Devils)
* Fearless Prediction: Devils in Seven
Pittsburgh Penguins (4) vs. Philadelphia Flyers (5)
- Goalies: MA Fleury > Niitymaki/Biron
- Defense: Gonchar, Boucher, Letang et al > Timmonen & Coburn et al
- Forwards: Malkin, SC87, Staal, Guerin, Kunitz et al > Mike Richards, Jeff Carter et al
* Fealess Prediction: Penguins in Six
Feel free to comment, criticize and post your own picks.
aka The Hockey Spy