I am a cricket fan and plan to be for the rest of my life. But there is a game which I do not follow passionately but still feel very close to, and that's tennis. Whenever I get a chance, I watch it, and though I am not an expert on it, it makes me want to write.
I wanted to write something on why tennis is enjoyed by so many across the world, and I came up with a few reasons, as outlined below.
1) In tennis, points are scored pretty quickly. I know that one point is hardly anything, but still, it is nice to see someone winning a minor victory all the time. Today's world is hardly patient, so winning and rapid points are required..
2) Tennis is an individual game. It's like a one-on-one fight. There is no way out of this and no one to save you. Such battles are always fun. The good thing is that you do not have to wait long for every move to take place, unlike chess, and you don't have to see all the gore, like in wrestling and boxing.
Today's world is also promoting the individual as more important than the group. We may not realize it, but that definitely has an effect. How big does it seem when a person is ranked No. 1 compared to a team being ranked the same? I personally find it huge. Not that it's a good thing, but that's the way it is.
On the positive side, this individual game teaches you that you have to face your problems yourself, which is very important to learn.
3) In this game, you're required to have it all: Speed, stamina, strength, flexibility, adaptability, coordination, a thinking brain, and a lot more. It is one of the few games in which even if one of those areas is lacking, you cannot survive. Maybe at the lower levels a bit, but at the top levels, those faults (pardon the pun) will be exploited.
4) Tennis is a game which will end up having a result. No ties here, like in soccer or hockey. After sitting through a whole match, everyone wants a result, and here they get one.
5) Tennis has four grand slams a year, which are like four World Cups in one year. Most of the main sports have one major event each year (Super Bowl, World Series, etc.) and spme have their world cup every four years(soccer, cricket, hockey)
6) A match of tennis can end very quickly or can take exceptionally long. This is something that makes the game unpredictable, and that's exciting.
7) Finally, in tennis, men get to see women in short skirts and women get to see men with all the muscles and tight clothing. Tell me you don't find that sexy.
Feel free to comment.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!