Mike Trout may not be golden, but today silver was good enough for the Los Angeles Angels' stud outfielder.
The 21-year-old Trout won his first Silver Slugger Award following a remarkable breakout season that made him a household name seemingly overnight. On the season, the New Jersey native hit .326 (trailing only Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera's .330 average) with 30 home runs and 83 RBI. Trout would finish with 315 total bases, good for sixth-best in the American League.
Not too shabby for a guy hitting out of the leadoff spot.
He becomes the first Angel to win the Silver Slugger Award since Torii Hunter won it for the Halos back in 2009.
Moving forward, Trout still has sights set on two more major awards.
He's looking to become the first Angels player to win the American League Rookie of the Year Award since another fish-surnamed outfielder, Tim Salmon, won the award for the then-California Angels in 1993.
But most importantly, Trout has his eyes set on the ultimate individual prize for a position player: the American League's Most Valuable Player Award. Trout faces stiff competition in the two-horse MVP race with Detroit Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera, baseball's first Triple Crown winner since Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski did it for the Boston Red Sox 45 years ago.
Here is a look at the full list of the 2012 Silver Slugger Award winners.
- C - AJ Pierzynski (Chicago White Sox)
- 1B - Prince Fielder (Detroit Tigers)
- 2B - Robinson Cano (New York Yankees)
- 3B - Miguel Cabrera (Detroit Tigers)
- SS - Derek Jeter (New York Yankees)
- OF - Josh Hamilton (Texas Rangers)
- OF - Josh Willingham (Minnesota Twins)
- OF - Mike Trout (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)
- DH - Billy Butler (Kansas City Royals)
- C - Buster Posey (San Francisco Giants)
- 1B - Adam LaRoche (Washington Nationals)
- 2B - Aaron Hill (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- 3B - Chase Headley (San Diego Padres)
- SS - Ian Desmond (Washington Nationals)
- OF - Ryan Braun (Milwaukee Brewers)
- OF - Andrew McCutchen (Pittsburgh Pirates)
- OF - Jay Bruce (Cincinnati Reds)
- P - Stephen Strasburg (Washington Nationals)
Feel like any of the players on the list are undeserving? Who were this year's biggest snubs? Comment, drop some knowledge and let us know.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!