World Football Gossip Roundup: Fellaini, Baines, Cavani, Richards, Dempsey
The English Premier League title is up for grabs yet again, and today's rumor mill is appropriately chaotic.
Marouane Fellaini inspired Everton in their 4-4 draw at Manchester United. But did you know he's already been linked with a move away from Goodison Park?
Meanwhile, Manchester United are apparently interested in Everton's Leighton Baines, and Manchester City's Micah Richards is apparently heading to Real Madrid.
Plus, one of those clubs is being linked with Clint Dempsey. Bet you can't guess which one...
Marouane Fellaini to Leave Everton?
If you watched Everton's 4-4 draw with Manchester United on Sunday, you saw what Belgian midfielder Marouane Fellaini can do.
If you saw this story from Friday, you might be wondering what Fellaini will do next. From Goal.com:
[Fellaini] signed a new five-year contract last November but is understood to have growing doubts about whether Everton can step up to the next level without an injection of cash.
The Belgium international has told friends that he wants to stay in the Premier League and is happy at Everton but is concerned both about whether his ambitions can be met at Goodison Park and the uncertain future of manager David Moyes.
Arsenal and Chelsea are listed as potential suitors.
Baines to United?
Fellaini isn't the only Everton player being linked with a move away from Goodison Park.
The Daily Mirror reports that Manchester United want Everton fullback Leighton Baines.
Sir Alex Ferguson has identified the Everton left-back as a possible successor for captain Patrice Evra as the Frenchman nears his 31st birthday.
And the belief at Old Trafford is that Everton’s financial situation could enable them to land Baines for as little as £5million.
Goodison boss David Moyes will be desperate to keep all his top players given that there is unlikely to be any cash made available for reinforcements.
Baines, 27, joined Everton from Wigan for £5 million in 2007.
Cavani Leaving Napoli?
Uh oh. Edinson Cavani has declined to commit his future to Napoli.
(W)hen asked after the game if he would still be at the San Paolo next season if Napoli fail to overhaul the Biancocelesti, Cavani offered a cryptic reply.
“I don’t know - the club will deal with this sort of thing," the striker told Sky Sport Italia. "I am focused only on playing my football and winning every game.
“The club will think about the rest and they know what to do. For as long as I am at Napoli, I will continue to give my all for this team.”
Sounds like the start of a transfer saga to me. Manchester City and Chelsea have been linked with Cavani, 25.
Richards to Real?
With Barcelona defeated and La Liga all but clinched, Real Madrid are reportedly chasing Manchester City's Micah Richards.
From the Daily Mail:
The 23-year-old only signed a four-year deal last year, but it has been suggested to the Portuguese manager that Richards has grown frustrated at Roberto Mancini's rotation policy.
And Mourinho is ready to test the water to see if the full back is obtainable this summer. Arsenal, Chelsea, Juventus and AC Milan are also understood to be monitoring Richards.
Of course, at the bottom of the page, the Mail is also reporting on the world's first pregnant man.
If Manchester United want Athletic Bilbao's 19-year-old sensation Iker Muniaín, it'll cost them almost £30 million.
That's the word from Muniaín's "representative," at least.
Juventus have also been linked with him, but his representative, Jesus Medina, thinks it is unlikely Muniain will end up in Italy.
He told Calciomercato.com: "Athletic do not want to sell. Whoever wants him must pay his buyout clause at €36 million (£29.5 million)."
United have also been linked with Athletic Bilbao's Javi Martinez, Oscar De Marcos and Ander Herrera.
Arsenal Chasing Ljajic?
Arsenal want 20-year-old Serbian midfielder Adem Ljajic, who currently plays for Fiorentina.
That's according to reports in Italy. Metro passes along the info:
Ljajic was close to being given the opportunity to showcase his creative talents in the Premier League in 2010.
Manchester United negotiated an option to sign him while he was still at Partizan Belgrade, but pulled out of the deal after being unable to secure a work permit for him.
Dempsey the Toffee?
Finally, Clint Dempsey's true destination this summer has been revealed.
Take it away, Daily Star:
EVERTON are chasing another American star – Fulham’s top-scorer Clint Dempsey.
The Goodison club already have two goalkeepers from the USA in Tim Howard – first choice for club and country - and Marcus Hahnemann.
Now, Everton boss David Moyes wants Dempsey, 29 who has only a year remaining on his contract.
Dempsey, who can operate up front, behind the main striker or in wide positions, has been one of the Premier League’s outstanding performers this season.
Everton believe they can clinch a deal at around £4 million.
Yes, Dempsey is going to Everton. They have so much money to spend.
And when he says he wants Champions League football, he's really just kidding.