Boston Red Sox (Sort Of) Ultimate Quiz for Diehard Fans
For all of you out there who think you know your baseball—especially Boston Red Sox baseball—this is the quiz for you. With a tip of the BoSox cap to John Quinn and Dave Martin who know the score.
Eighteen questions. Answers follow the questions, so no peeking. A score of nine or more correct makes you a major leaguer. Below that you are in the minors but on your way up. Warning: there is one trick question.
And if you want to really participate, there will be Red Sox Quiz II - send in some questions and answers and perhaps they will make it into print.
1. Who was the last Red Sox left handed pitcher to win 20 games in a season?
a. Jon Lester b. Mel Parnell c. Bill Lee d. Bruce Hurst.
2. Who was the last Red Sox player to hit a home run in the old Yankee Stadium, in 2008?
a. David Ortiz b. Kevin Youkilis c. Jason Varitek d. Dustin Pedroia.
3. Who is the only Red Sox pitcher to win a Gold Glove?
a. Roger Clemens; b. Derek Lowe; c.Mike Boddicker; d. Dennis Eckersley.
4. Who has the record for most extra-base hits in a season by a Red Sox third baseman?
a. Adrian Beltre b. Wade Boggs c. Kevin Youkilis d. Rico Petrocelli.
5. What Red Sox player was the last to lead MLB in both triples and home runs in the same season?
a. Ted Williams b. Fred Lynn c. Jim Rice d. Carl Yastrzemski.
6. Who was the last Red Sox player to hit three home runs in a game against the Yankees?
a. Dwight Evans b. Kevin Millar c. Jim Rice d. David Ortiz.
7. What Red Sox player is the only player in MLB history to hit for the cycle and turn an unassisted triple play?
a. Rick Burleson b. Jerry Remy c. Marty Barrett d. John Valentin.
8. Which of the following was not a nick-name for Ted Williams?
a Splendid Splinter b. The Kid c. The Thumper d. Teddy Ballgame
9. Whose nickname was Bruno?
a. Tom Brunansky b. Dave Ferris c. Ron Bloomberg d. Bernie Carbo
10. Who played for both the Celtics and Red Sox?
a. Frank Sullivan b. Frank Malzone c. Gene Conley d. Pumpsie Green
11. Who did not manage the Red Sox?
a. Joe Morgan b. Harry Frazee c. Dick Williams d. Don Zimmer
12. What Red Sox player holds the major-league record for most RBIs in one game where one player accounts for all of his team's RBIs?
a. Mo Vaughn b. Ted Williams c. Carl Yastrzemski d. Mike Greenwell
13. What Red Sox pitcher holds the record for most strikeouts in a game?
a. Pedro Martinez b. Babe Ruth c. Roger Clemens d. Cy Young
14. What Red Sox player was the last one to to hit over .400 in a season?
a. Carl Yastrzemski b. Ted Williams c Wade Boggs d. Jimmie Fox
15. Easy one: What Red Sox player was nick-named “Chicken Man?”
16. What was the first home ballpark the Red Sox played in?
a. Hilltop Park. b. Fenway Park c. Shibe Park d. Huntington Avenue Grounds
17. In 2004, how many years had passed since the team’s last championship?
18. Who did Pedro Martinez throw to the ground?
- b (1953)
2 d (8/27/03)
3. c (1990)
4. a (2010)
5. c (1978)
6. b ( 7/23/04)
8. All were nick-names, sorry trick question.
12. d. Mike Greenwell with nine on September 2, 1996.
13. c Roger Clemens, 20
14. b. Ted Williams .406 in 1941
15. Wade Boggs
16. d. Huntington Avenue Grounds
17. 86 years
18. Don Zimmer
**A noted oral historian and sports journalist, Harvey Frommer has written many sports books, including Fenway Park: An Oral and Narrative History of the Home of the Boston Red Sox. His work has appeared in The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Washington Post, New York Daily News, Newsday, USA Today, Men’s Heath, The Sporting News, Epoch Times and, of course, Bleacher Report, among other publications.Visit his web site: http://harveyfrommersports.com/remembering_fenway/
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?