World Football
HomeScoresTransfer RumorsUSWNTUSMNTPremier LeagueChampions LeagueLa LigaSerie ABundesligaMLSFIFA Club World Cup
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

FIFA World Cup 2010: France Stars 'May Boycott' South Africa Game

Daniel GoochJun 22, 2010

France coach Raymond Domenech has said that some of the French players may refuse to take part in their third (and last) group game against South Africa, because of the exclusion of Nicolas Anelka from the squad.

The Chelsea striker was sent home for verbally abusing the coach at half time in their 2-0 defeat to Mexico last week.

He was asked if some of his team would not be playing against the hosts. His reply was, "It is a possibility."

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

He also labeled the players' decision to boycott Sunday's training session as "an aberration" as they refused to take part in protest at Anelka's expulsion.

Anelka has refused to apologise to Domenech when asked to by the French Football Federation.

As a consequence, the FFF stated that he had been excluded from the squad.

"Nobody can behave in such a way in the dressing room or elsewhere and high-level sportsmen and women have to lead by example through football."

The boycott of training also led to managing director of the FFF, Jean-Louis Valentin, quitting his job.   

"The three or four leaders are players past their prime who will never play a World Cup again," said the FFF general secretary.

In a press conference, Domenech agreed with the FFF's ruling. 

"We had to do something—the French people had a right to know.

"What I should have said at the end of the message was that I did not support this action.

"With the FFF president and staff members we tried to convince them it was stupid. I disagreed with the document. What they were doing was unthinkable.

"We've wasted a lot of energy. There are no words to explain what has happened. I'm hoping we will now have action on the pitch rather than off it."

France have only picked up one point from two games, and will need a miracle if they wish to go past the group stages. 

They will need to beat South Africa by a large score, and also hope that Uruguay and Mexico do not draw their game. 

French politicians and newspapers have gone mad. French president Nicolas Sarkozy has his aids have a meeting with the team to try and sort out the problem.

The newspapers are having a go at the players, saying their actions are suicide, and that they are giving France a bad name in front of the whole world.

However, will wont have to deal with any the French problems for much longer as by 5 pm today, they will be out of the tournament and getting ready for their flight back home. 

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R