US Soccer World Cup 2010: Charlie Davies Snubbed—Don't Blame Bob Bradley
When the 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup was announced Tuesday, American fans were hoping to hear Bob Bradley call the name of Charlie Davies.
Davies, who suffered severe injuries to his leg in a well-publicized October car accident, was not called upon, despite an inspired seven-month rehabilitation that had infused the slightest amount of optimism in US fans.
The American striker was a key component of the US qualifying effort, and his play in last summer’s Confederations Cup earned the respect and adoration of American soccer fans everywhere. It seemed America had found a true No. 9 to play with Landon Donovan.
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
It was not to be, however. Davies’s speed and knack for the goal would have been a key asset for the Red, White, and Blue in South Africa this summer, but with Tuesday’s announcement, it is now official: Charlie Davies will not play in this summer’s World Cup.
Initial reactions were of disappointment and anger, and understandably so. And the first target of American flames of rage? None other than Bob Bradley.
Just check the message boards, blogs, or Twitter accounts of any US soccer fan.
Bradley screwed the pooch on this one, we said. How could he not even give Charlie a chance? we said. Robbie Findley? Even an unhealthy Charlie is better than Robbie Findley, we said.
As usual, Bob Bradley served as the scapegoat for the failures of American soccer. I’m sure Bradley is used to it by now, and in the past, one could argue that he deserved the blame in certain situations.
This time, however, Bob is innocent.
Truly, Bob was handicapped by Sochaux, Charlie’s French club. Despite having returned to full training in the last month and even netting a goal or two on the training pitch, Sochaux has refused to medically release Charlie to attend Bradley’s preliminary camp May 17-23 in Princeton, NJ.
“FC Sochaux notified us that at this point Charlie has not been given medical clearance, and that they would not grant his full release to join the camp,” Bradley said in Tuesday’s press conference.
Normally, clubs have to comply with countries during mandated FIFA dates and allow the country’s federation to determine matters of medical clearance. However, in this case, pre-Cup camp is not during a FIFA-mandated international break, so the club reigns supreme.
Sochaux, then, should be the patsy for the American fan to point the finger at, it would appear.
The truth, however, is that no one is to blame but Davies himself. It was Davies who was out past curfew before the Costa Rica game on the night of the tragic accident. Had he been in the hotel, this injury could have been avoided.
In all reality, it was an accident—pure and simple. Davies made a mistake, and despite his affecting recovery, utter humility, and inspirational attitude throughout the entire process, he will have to suffer the consequences as he watches the American side take the field against England on June 12 without him.
The good news in all this? Charlie is just 23—it's more than likely that we'll see a "stanky leg" or two at Brazil 2014.






