X

Rafael Nadal Injury Update: Tennis Star out for Remainder of 2016 Season

Scott Polacek@@ScottPolacekFeatured ColumnistOctober 20, 2016

SHANGHAI, CHINA - OCTOBER 12:  Rafael Nadal of Spain leaves the court after lost Viktor Troicki of Serbia during the Men's singles second round match on day four of Shanghai Rolex Masters at Qi Zhong Tennis Centre on October 12, 2016 in Shanghai, China.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Lintao Zhang/Getty Images

Tennis fans will have to wait until the 2017 season to see star Rafael Nadal in action again.

The Spaniard said he would miss the remainder of the 2016 campaign in a Facebook post he shared on Thursday:

It is no secret that I arrived to the Olympic Games short of preparation and not fully recovered, but the goal was to compete and win a medal for Spain. This forced recovery has caused me pain since then and now I am forced to stop and start preparing the 2017 season. I am very saddened for not being able to play next week in Basel since I have a great memory of the tournament and the final played against Roger Federer last year. I won’t be able to compete either in Paris-Bercy, where the crowds and the FFT staff have always treated me so well. Now it is time to rest and start preparing intensively the 2017 season.

The Associated Press noted the left wrist injury plagued him throughout the season and forced him to miss more than two months of competition.

Despite the setback, Nadal still checks in at No. 6 in the ATP rankings, but he will not get the chance to play in the ATP Finals in London.

According to his official ATP profile, the lefty was 39-14 on the season with two titles. However, the 14-time Grand Slam champion struggled on some of the biggest stages because of his injury and missed Wimbledon altogether. He also had to pull out of the French Open before he took the court for his third-round match.

Nadal lost in the round of 16 at the U.S. Open and in his first match at the Australian Open.

He was impressive in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro and reached the bronze medal match in singles, where he lost to Kei Nishikori. He won the gold medal in doubles alongside partner Marc Lopez.

Still, his success at the Games came at a cost, as he said in his statement he posted on Facebook. He returned too quickly and will be out of action the rest of the year, but the additional time off will ideally lead to a fresher and healthier version of Nadal in 2017 and beyond.

If that’s the case, the 30-year-old can once again challenge for major titles moving forward.

🚨 SPORTS NEWS ➡️ YOUR INBOX

The latest in the sports world, emailed daily.