
Barcelona vs. Manchester City: Pep Guardiola's Key Pre-Match Presser Comments
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is relishing the prospect of facing Lionel Messi when his side face Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday, as well as urging the Argentinian to retire at the Camp Nou. The City chief also revealed he didn't attempt to recruit Barca's biggest stars this summer.
Messi came on as a substitute in Barca's 4-0 win over Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday, and Guardiola told the media on Tuesday he's looking forward to the clash against his former charge.
Per the Mirror's Liam Prenderville, he said: "It's always a great satisfaction to see him play and I am happy he is back tomorrow. It's a good test for us to play against the best team. I know what they will do tomorrow, and I know what I want to do. To change the way you play football for just one game is impossible but we will adjust."
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩

Guardiola left the Camp Nou in 2012 after spending four years at the club's helm, but the Citizens face a mountainous task if they're to come away from Catalonia with a result in tow on Wednesday.
Reports previously suggested the Spaniard attempted to sign the likes of Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar over the summer, but Guardiola took the opportunity to clear the air in Tuesday's press conference:
"I have not called any Barcelona players. I know that some wars are lost before they’ve started [in reference to rumours]. I know this place and I know how things move.
I called Thiago because my brother was his representative.
Three years ago I called Neymar to recommend he signed for Barca, then his dad called me in New York to see about Bayern [Munich], but I said go to Barca.
"
Sky Sports' Spanish expert Guillem Balague relayed that it was before his Manchester City arrival, back in 2013, that Guardiola spoke with Neymar regarding a transfer from his former club, Santos:
Considering the funds at City's disposal, it's perhaps not surprising the Premier League club might consider itself one of the few squads able to facilitate a move for the superstars of Barcelona.
The only Barcelona player City did sign was goalkeeper Claudio Bravo, although Guardiola went on to outline even the Chile stopper wasn't his first choice:
"This summer I didn’t call anyone. Not Messi, Busquets, Iniesta, Neymar, nobody. I called ter Stegen because he wasn’t happy not playing, but he decided to stay and later we spoke with Bravo.
I didn’t call Messi. What I want is for him to ends his career here. He will decide when to leave Barca.
It’s not true I called any Barca players this summer. The people that have published these reports have a good relationship with president Bartomeu, maybe you can ask him [about it].
"
The Daily Mail's Chris Wheeler gleaned evidence from the press conference that Guardiola would be open to one day signing Messi should he become available, although that seems an unlikely fate:
City make their way to Spain this week sitting two points below Group C leaders Barcelona, and a win for the hosts on Wednesday could see Barca pull clear of the pile before the Citizens even have a chance to react.
Nevertheless, Guardiola was eager to send out a positive message ahead of his Camp Nou reunion, despite the fact he arrives at the ground as an enemy this time around:
The Manchester City mastermind may be considered one of the few managers—if there are any—who could convince Messi to leave Barca and join his project at the Etihad Stadium.
In that sense, Wednesday's meeting against manager Luis Enrique's side could serve as a test as to which team is superior right now, a form of audition to show Messi the kind of project he could be a part of.






