Goalkeeper Hope Solo announced Tuesday she won't suit up for the Seattle Reign for the rest of the 2016 National Women's Soccer League season.
The 35-year-old released a statement on Twitter:
The move comes after the United States Soccer Federation suspended Solo for six months and canceled her national team contract. The federation was upset after Solo said Sweden played like a "bunch of cowards" following the U.S. women's national team's defeat to the Swedes in the 2016 Summer Olympics, per the Los Angeles Times' Kevin Baxter.
Production company Fullscreen has been following Solo, along with fellow national team stars Megan Rapinoe and Crystal Dunn, as part of a documentary series titled Keeping Score. Fullscreen cameras captured Solo's immediate reaction to the news of her suspension and contract termination (Warning: video contains NSFW language):
Author George Dohrmann was among those arguing Solo's punishment was long overdue:
She earned a 30-day suspension from U.S. Soccer in January 2015 after her husband, former NFL tight end Jerramy Stevens, was pulled over on suspicion of driving under the influence. Solo was a passenger in the van, which U.S. Soccer owned.
According to USA Today’s Christine Brennan, Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal was among many who criticized the national federation after it largely failed to act in the wake of domestic violence allegations against Solo last year. Solo's half-sister, Teresa Obert, said the national team star struck her and her teenage son in June 2014, per ESPN's Mark Fainaru-Wada.
Soccer fans may have seen the last of Solo on the pitch in any meaningful action. She's in the twilight of her career, and taking months off from competitive matches would make a return difficult.
The door is still open for her to rejoin the national team once her suspension is over, and she may decide to return to the Reign for the 2017 NWSL season. Still, either scenario is far from a guarantee.