
Winston-Salem Open 2016: Tuesday Tennis Scores, Results, Updated Draw Schedule
The final tune-up for the 2016 U.S. Open continued Tuesday, with a number of top seeds finding themselves in trouble at the Winston-Salem Open.
No. 2 seed Roberto Bautista Agut and American Sam Querrey were each put on the ropes in three-set nail-biters, continuing a trend that started yesterday with Richard Gasquet.
Bautista Agut dropped the first set to Aljaz Bedene before coming back for a 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 win. The Spaniard had lost twice previously to the unseeded Bedene last year.
“I lost against Bedene two times, and I knew it was a difficult match today,” Bautista Agut said, per John Delong of the event's website. “He had already played his first match yesterday, and it was my first match, so it was even tougher because of that. But I think I was really serious on the court, and I thought I did a great job.”
| (6) Sam Querrey def. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez | 6-3, 6-7 (5), 7-5 |
| (14) Marcos Baghdatis def. Donald Young | 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 |
| (9) Viktor Troicki def. Kyle Edmund | 6-3, 7-5 |
| (3) Pablo Cuevas def. Malek Jaziri | 7-5, 6-1 |
| Yen-Hsun Lu def. (10) Joao Sousa | 6-2, 6-4 |
| John Millman def. (8) Albert Ramos-Vinolas | 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 |
| (2) Roberto Bautista Agut def. Aljaz Bedene | 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 |
| Diego Schwartzman def. (7) Gilles Simon | 7-6 (2), 6-1 |
| Bjorn Fratangelo def. (11) Paolo Lorenzi | 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 |
| Jiri Vesely def. (5) Kevin Anderson | 7-6 (5), 6-4 |
| (4) Steve Johnson def. Lukas Rosol | 6-3, 6-2 |
| (15) Fernando Verdasco def. Taylor Fritz | 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 |
| (12) Andrey Kuznetsov def. Mikhail Youzhny | Walkover |
| (16) Pablo Carreno Busta def. Jan-Lennard Struff | 6-4, 7-5 |
An updated schedule can be found on the tournament's website.
Bedene nailed 15 aces and dominated when he could find accuracy with his first serve. But he failed on seven of eight attempts to break Bautista Agut and won only half of his second-serve points.
“I wanted to keep going,” Bautista Agut said. “I wanted to keep fighting. I wanted to leave everything on the court. I was still focused on the match after losing the first set, and I was happy with the way I came back.”
Querrey took the first set against Guillermo Garcia-Lopez before dropping a second-set tiebreak. The two wound up battling through a hard-fought third set before Querrey pulled out a 7-5 win. Querrey finished the match with a resounding 24 aces and won 86 percent of his first-serve points. He was also able to overcome Garcia-Lopez on nine of the 10 times he faced a break.
Garcia-Lopez, meanwhile, struggled his way to 10 double-faults and allowed Querrey to convert on three of his four breaks. If it weren't for the missed opportunities and mistakes, Garcia-Lopez could have pulled off the upset.
Seventh-seeded Gilles Simon and eighth-seeded Albert Ramos-Vinolas weren't so lucky. Simon took Diego Schwartzman to a tiebreak in the first set before things fell apart in the second. The 24-year-old Schwartzman took control, earning a 7-6 (2), 6-1 triumph. Both players struggled mightily with serve accuracy, but Schwartzman's three breaks to Simon's one changed the tone of the match.
Ramos-Vinolas seemed to have John Millman in his grasp before the Aussie stole the final two sets for a 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 win. Millman overcame 10 Ramos-Vinolas aces to break him five times.
No. 10 seed Joao Sousa and No. 11 seed Paolo Lorenzi also bowed out early as the field opened up wide for a surprise winner. Two of the last three years has seen a player seeded seventh or worse come out ahead in this event, which rarely features the tour's top stars.
What's more, No. 5 seed Kevin Anderson dropped his match to Jiri Vesely in straight sets.
Third-seeded Pablo Cuevas did not have any of those same issues. His 7-5, 6-1 win over Malek Jaziri was one of the few relative walkovers for seeded players Tuesday.

.jpg)







