
Sepp Blatter Speaks Out Against FIFA Ban, Confirms Intention to Appeal
FIFA President Sepp Blatter has responded bullishly after he was banned by the organisation on Monday, professing his innocence and insisting he will appeal the sanction.
Both Blatter and UEFA President Michel Platini were served eight-year suspensions from all football-related activities after an investigation into a "disloyal payment" made from the former to the latter in 2011, per BBC Sport.
Rob Harris of the Associated Press revealed details of the appeal on December 22, and Blatter's legal team plan to centre their response around the belief the FIFA judge "found insufficient evidence":
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
Speaking to the press after the verdict was announced, Blatter was adamant of his innocence, per Harris:
The 79-year-old also confirmed he would be appealing to any powers possible in an attempt to get the verdict overturned:
As reported by Joe Mewis of the Daily Mirror, Blatter blamed external factors for this verdict, making it clear he has not indulged in any wrongdoing and sought to explain the payment made to Platini:
"We are in a so-called oral contract, or gentleman's agreement. This was made in 1998 after the World Cup in France. Mr Platini approached me and said he wanted to work for FIFA. He said I am a very expensive man, I said that's OK, but we cannot pay you now.
But what astonished me now with today's decision is that they deny the existence of such an agreement. And this agreement was indirectly confirmed by two meetings of the UEFA exec committee in Sweden and in Zurich in December 1998. ...
We have the proof that this was not only known by Platini and me and we know the agreement exists. The committee denies this and the 2 million Swiss francs which were due and paid to Platini went through the finance committee and through congress and was done in good terms.
"

Blatter was also quick to remind the assembled media he is still the president of FIFA despite the ban stripping him of any jurisdiction, per Sky News' Paul Kelso and BBC Sport's Richard Conway:
Former England striker Gary Lineker found the comments made by Blatter rather astounding:
As a 79-year-old, the eight-year ban could finally curtail Blatter's longstanding relationship with FIFA. However, as reported by the Guardian's Owen Gibson, it seems as though the Swiss is confident of a return much sooner than 2023:
According to a statement made by FIFA (h/t BBC Sport), the payment made in February 2011 was of "no legal basis," with the claims made by both Blatter and Platini that an "oral agreement" was in place branded "not convincing."

Neither Blatter nor Platini were found guilty of corruption, which would potentially carry a lifetime ban. However, it's claimed they each showed an "abusive execution" of their positions of authority.
The FIFA chief has been in charge of world football's governing body since 1998 and had already confirmed he was to relinquish his post prior to the organisation's February elections. Platini, who had been tipped to succeed Blatter, has also long denied any misdemeanours but chose to boycott the hearing.






