World Football
HomeScoresTransfer RumorsUSWNTUSMNTPremier LeagueChampions LeagueLa LigaSerie ABundesligaMLSFIFA Club World Cup
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
Alexandre Pato of Brazil's Sao Paulo FC celebrates after scoring against Uruguay's Danubio during a Copa Libertadores soccer game in Montevideo, Uruguay, Wednesday, April 15, 2015. (AP Photo/Matilde Campodonico)
Alexandre Pato of Brazil's Sao Paulo FC celebrates after scoring against Uruguay's Danubio during a Copa Libertadores soccer game in Montevideo, Uruguay, Wednesday, April 15, 2015. (AP Photo/Matilde Campodonico)Matilde Campodonico/Associated Press

Liverpool Transfer News: Alexandre Pato Drops Hint, Lucas Biglia Rumours Emerge

Gianni VerschuerenNov 17, 2015

Alexandre Pato has fuelled transfer rumours linking him with a move to Liverpool by telling reporters he hopes he can move back to Europe “soon,” and the Reds have reportedly submitted an offer for Lazio Roma midfielder Lucas Biglia.

Pato, who is currently on loan with Sao Paulo but is owned by Corinthians, is reportedly eyed by both the Reds and Manchester United, according to the Daily Express' David Wright, and the former AC Milan man is apparently interested in playing in Europe once again. When asked whether a move away from Brazil would happen, he said: "I do not know, I hope soon,” per Wright.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Corinthians deputy director of football Eduardo Ferreira previously told Globo Esporte (h/t Wright) his club would consider selling Pato once he returns from his loan spell with Sao Paulo, but that he would cost at least £17.5 million.        

Once considered to be the top attacking talent to emerge from Brazil in years, Pato has seen his career take a turn for the worse after an injury-stricken spell with Milan. When healthy, he flashed all of the potential that made him such an enticing prospect, but he missed huge chunks of time with a variety of ailments.

Now 26 years old, the striker has been largely injury-free since returning to Brazil, and he's found plenty of success with Sao Paulo, scoring 10 goals and adding five assists in 27 Brasileirao starts this season, per WhoScored.com.

Pato could be the kind of value investment that is normally difficult to find in January, when prices increase drastically as clubs scramble to fill glaring needs before the second half of the campaign.

Corinthians seem happy to let him leave, as evidenced by the fact they sent him out on loan, and if Liverpool's interest in his services is genuine, the actual negotiations to come to an agreement should be painless.

There are some issues, however. Pato has always been a finesse player, relying heavily on his pace, technical ability and vision. From a footballing perspective, those were major assets in Serie A, but Italy's physical defenders compensated by committing harsh fouls, which led to the multitude of injuries.

Medical staff carry AC Milan's forward Alexandre Pato after he has been injured during the Italian Serie A football match between Udinese and AC Milan at Friuli stadium in Udine on May 22, 2011.  during their Italian Serie A football match between Udinese

Like Serie A, the Premier League is known as a physical league where defenders aren't afraid to kick out at a faster, more technical forward. The countless injuries have also had an impact on Pato's raw pace, and he may not be fast enough to be the perfect fit in manager Jurgen Klopp's counter-attacking system any longer.

That said, £17.5 million is a relatively modest investment, and if Klopp believes Pato's injury concerns are a thing of the past, he should pull the trigger.

Meanwhile, Gazzetta dello Sport (h/t Metro's Will Giles) claims Liverpool have made an “enticing offer” for Lazio midfielder Lucas Biglia, the 29-year-old Argentina international who seems to be on the verge of leaving the Italian capital.

Giles mentioned both Real Madrid and Liverpool as potential destinations for Biglia, who would be the main backup to Luka Modric with Los Blancos but a likely starter at Anfield. Per Calciomercato (h/t Daily Express' Joe Short), he turned down a contract extension earlier this year.

Biglia is an underrated midfielder who spent years playing for Belgian side Anderlecht before leaving for Serie A. Had he left the Belgians earlier, he likely would be more famous at this point, as he's developed into a key asset for both Lazio and the Argentinian national team. Per OptaPaolo, he was huge for the Biancocelesti last season:

A superb passer and playmaker who is willing to get his hands dirty, Biglia is a midfielder who would reinforce the Reds on both sides of the pitch. He's not a defensive mastermind like Sergio Busquets or a passing wizard like Mesut Ozil, but he presents the best of both worlds.

This deal may just come down to the kind of money interested clubs are willing to offer. Biglia's bank account isn't as impressive as that of his peers after years with Anderlecht, and while every top player wants to start, he may be willing to settle for a role as a backup in Madrid, as evidenced by his turning down Lazio's rather generous offer.

If Liverpool are willing to give him the kind of wages he desires, however, he could be tempted to pick Anfield instead.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R