MLB
HomeScoresRumorsHighlightsDraftPower Rankings
Featured Video
Benches Clear in Fenway 🍿
Boston Red Sox v Toronto Blue Jays
Mark Taylor/Getty Images

MLB Rumors: Vlad Guerrero Jr. Was Offered $500M Contract with Deferrals by Blue Jays

Paul KasabianMar 11, 2025

The Toronto Blue Jays offered first baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr. a $500 million contract with deferrals last month, per Jon Heyman and Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

"The Toronto Blue Jays offered superstar first baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr. a deal for about $500 million before negotiations were halted last month — although significant deferrals put an estimate of the actual net present value of the offer between $400 million and $450 million, league sources familiar with the negotiation tell The Post.

"These figures represent the range the Blue Jays were willing to discuss and, thus, details where matters stood before Guerrero’s camp halted negotiations, as promised, before the Jays’ first full-squad workout Feb. 18."

TOP NEWS

Athletics v Los Angeles Angels

Report: MLB Vet Unretires After 1 Day

MLB Farm System Rankings

Ranking Every Team's Farm System 📊

Pittsburgh Pirates v Colorado Rockies

Livvy Dunne Explains Trending Reaction 🤣

Guerrero, who rejected the offer, is now set to enter free agency in November.

On Tuesday, The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal revealed that Guerrero was looking for $500 million in present value, not deferrals, per "sources briefed on the first baseman’s contract negotiations" with Toronto.

Rosenthal broke down the numbers even further, signifying how far apart the two sides are on a new contract.

"The difference in present value between his ask and the Blue Jays’ final proposal, as reported by the Post, is between $50 million and $100 million – or between $3.57 million and $7.14 million per season over 14 years," Rosenthal added.

Guerrero previously told ESPN's Enrique Rojas and Ernesto Jerez earlier in March that his camp's final offer was for 14 years and less than $600 million, or far less than the $765 million Juan Soto received over 15 years with the New York Mets.

"It's much less than Soto. We're talking about many fewer millions than Soto, more than a hundred million less. ... It was the same number of years [as Soto's contract], but it didn't reach [$600 million]. The last number we gave them as a counteroffer didn't reach 600," Guerrero said.

"I know the business. I lowered the salary demands a bit, but I also lowered the number of years. ... I'm looking for 14 [years]. I would like 14, 15, even 20 if they give them to me, but doing it the right way."

Guerrero said last month that he didn't want to negotiate during spring training or the regular season (h/t Keegan Matheson of MLB.com).

However, it seems the door would be propped open if the Blue Jays came back with a "realistic offer," as told to reporters (h/t sportscaster Hazel Mae).

For now, Guerrero is an impending free agent. The four-time All-Star and two-time Silver Slugger hit .323 last season with 30 home runs and 103 RBI.

Benches Clear in Fenway 🍿

TOP NEWS

Athletics v Los Angeles Angels

Report: MLB Vet Unretires After 1 Day

MLB Farm System Rankings

Ranking Every Team's Farm System 📊

Pittsburgh Pirates v Colorado Rockies

Livvy Dunne Explains Trending Reaction 🤣

MLB Re-Draft

2020 MLB Re-Draft ⏮️

Detroit Tigers v Boston Red Sox

Sox Eyeing Offensive Help ✍️

Saturday Night Main Event Live Grades 🔠
Bleacher Report11h

Saturday Night Main Event Live Grades 🔠

Multiple titles on the line in Indy 📲

TRENDING ON B/R