
Mets' Sean Manaea Will Start 2025 MLB Season on IL with Oblique Injury
The New York Mets are dealing with another injury in their starting rotation.
Manager Carlos Mendoza told reporters Monday that Sean Manaea has suffered a right oblique injury that will sideline him for a few weeks and force him to begin the 2025 season on the injured list.
Frankie Montas was placed on the IL last week with a lat strain that's expected to sideline him for 6-8 weeks as well.
TOP NEWS

Report: MLB Vet Unretires After 1 Day
.jpg)
Ranking Every Team's Farm System 📊

Livvy Dunne Explains Trending Reaction 🤣
It's a tough start to the season for the team's rotation, though the Mets still have Kodai Senga, Clay Holmes, Griffin Canning and David Peterson available. Paul Blackburn and Tylor Megill will also likely be given a chance to earn a spot in the starting rotation to start the 2025 campaign.
The good news for the Mets is that Mendoza isn't "overly concerned" about Manaea's injury, as he told reporters Monday.
"The good news is this is not—the tendon is not involved, the rib cage is not involved," he added. "It's just straight muscle, so he's going to be shut down for a couple of weeks—and then we'll reassess after that. We've gotta build him back up again. Safe to say that he's probably gonna start the season on the IL."
Manaea said he tried to pitch through the ailment but it never showed much improvement during spring training:
The 33-year-old went 12-6 for the Mets last season, posting a 3.47 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 184 strikeouts in 181.2 innings (32 starts). It was arguably the best season of his career, and the Mets rewarded him this winter with a three-year, $75 million contract.
Unfortunately, the first year of that new deal is starting with an injury.






.png)

.jpg)

