
B/R Gossip Roundup: Arsenal Set for Paulista Signing, Odegaard Joins Madrid
As deadline day approaches, the rumour mill continues to churn out all manner of new information and speculation.
Which team will sign which player? Who's going on loan? What about swap deals?
We have a bit of all that in this week's gossip roundup. The deadline is set for Feb. 2, but fortunately, you don't have to wait that long. Keep reading for all the hottest gossip from the transfer market.
Szczesny Loan Talk Makes No Sense for Arsenal
1 of 7
It’s been a disappointing start to 2015 for Wojciech Szczesny.
The 'keeper was at fault for two goals in Arsenal’s defeat to Southampton on New Year’s Day and was reportedly fined in the aftermath—not for his performance but for being caught having a cigarette in the shower.
Smoking in the shower would appear to be a skill in itself, but that’s for another day.
Regardlss, Szczesny has not played for the Gunners since the opening day of the year and has had to watch from the sidelines as his replacement, David Ospina, has kept three clean sheets in row.
Truth be told, Ospina has hardly been tested—even during the win over champions Manchester City on Sunday, the 'keeper was rarely put under pressure—but clean sheets are clean sheets, and he is now firmly in possession of the jersey.
So what now for Szczesny?
A loan move is the way forward, according to Poland legend Jan Tomaszewski.
Per a report from the Mail’s Ben Nagle, Tomaszewski told Sportowefakty: "From what I know, Wojciech will not play again until the end of the competition.
"Wojciech should look for a loan. He won't lose anything, he will continue to be bound by a contract with Arsenal, but will be able to count on regular game time.”
A loan may be what the Poland national team would like, but it’s surely not in Arsenal’s best interest.
Ospina arrived at Arsenal after a fine World Cup, but he is completely untested in the Premier League. The Colombian could continue to shine for the Gunners, but the flip side would leave Arsenal hugely exposed if Szczesny was farmed out on loan.
Believability Meter: Low
Goalkeepers live their lives in the headlines, as all mistakes are highlighted.
Yes, Szczesny made a couple of blunders against the Saints (that’s not including the post-game shower), but prior to that, he had largely performed well.
Arsenal cannot afford to loan out the Pole, given that Ospina has yet to prove himself over a lengthy period of time.
Darren Fletcher Needs Chance to Resurrect Career Away from Manchester United
2 of 7
He probably wouldn't thank you for it, but Darren Fletcher is one footballer you could legitimately feel sympathy for.
The Manchester United midfielder sat on the bench for the Champions League triumph over Chelsea in 2008 and missed out entirely on the final defeat to Barcelona a year later due to suspension.
Since then, the Scotland international found his burgeoning Old Trafford career disrupted by a serious illness, which saw him sidelined for long periods between 2011 and September 2013.
Now, however, the 30-year-old is struggling to find a way back into the United first team under Louis van Gaal.
Consequently, links with other clubs this month will come as no surprise.
According to John Percy of The Daily Telegraph, West Ham United are set to battle with Valencia for the services of the central midfielder, who has also been known to help out in a defensive role when required.
The Dalkeith-born player has never played with a club in his native country, but Alan Pattullo of The Scotsman believes there could be an interest from Celtic as well as West Bromwich Albion.
Fletcher has been limited to just three Premier League starts with United this season, and the opportunity to resurrect his career elsewhere must appeal to the long-serving Old Trafford man.
The midfielder has been admired by United supporters for his work rate alongside more illustrious names in the squad.
Any departure for Fletcher would represent a sad end after all his tribulations in recent years , but the chance to make a mark elsewhere must now be attractive.
Believability Meter: High
Few would begrudge Fletcher a move away from Manchester United, having been affiliated to the club since the age of 11.
But at 30, the midfielder is in the autumn of his career and needs to leave to have a greater prospect of first-team football.
Roberto Soldado Must Make Bayer Leverkusen Move from Tottenham for Confidence
3 of 7
Roberto Soldado arrived at Tottenham Hotspur in the summer of 2013 as part of the spending spree generated by the world-record sale of Gareth Bale to Real Madrid.
The former Real Madrid man made the move to White Hart Lane for £26 million after scoring 30 goals in 46 appearances for Valencia in the 2012-13 season.
That is an impressive return by any standard, and the money spent for then-head coach Andre Villas-Boas' team seemed worth it.
However, things have turned sour over the past 18 months, and Darren Lewis of the Daily Mirror claims the Spaniard is a target for Bayer Leverkusen.
The 29-year-old has scored just 15 times since his arrival at Spurs, with only four strikes to his name so far this term.
The striker's place in the team has been taken by the emerging Harry Kane under Mauricio Pochettino, while his international ambitions have been thwarted by his lack of form at club level.
Soldado recently admitted having some embarrassment for being unable to find form for Spurs supporters, who have stood by the striker, as Martha Kelner of the Daily Mail reported.
The forward was quoted as saying:
"From the first minute I’m involved, even before I’ve done anything, the fans show they believe in me, and I feel ashamed at not being able to satisfy them. It’s hard when they sing.
I hear them chanting my name and if I miss a chance, I feel bad. I can’t thank them enough. I just hope I can reach the level they expect and take advantage of the great players around me.
"
Soldado deserves enormous credit for such honesty, but his words would appear to confirm a lack of confidence is hurting his chances of rejuvenating his form.
The reported interest of Bayer Leverkusen will be a fillip to his self-belief, and it is a move he should seriously consider if the Bundesliga club follow up with a firm offer.
Believability Meter: Medium
Sometimes, you just have to admit that a move was wrong for all concerned. This has been an unfortunate one for both Soldado and Spurs.
A change of clubs might just be the answer for all parties to build for the future.
Arsenal the Real Winners as West Ham Eye Permanent Carl Jenkinson Move
4 of 7
There were some raised eyebrows in the summer transfer window when Arsene Wenger allowed Carl Jenkinson to join West Ham United on a season-long loan.
With Bacary Sagna leaving the Emirates Stadium for Manchester City, there appeared to be a dearth of cover in the right-back role.
Mathieu Debuchy had already made the move to the Gunners from Newcastle United, but that still left a limited number of options for Wenger in the position.
However, with the arrival of Calum Chambers from Southampton, the Arsenal manager clearly believed he had a potential solution to the right-back conundrum and allowed Jenkinson to make the move across the English capital.
And such has been the success of the 22-year-old's temporary switch to Upton Park that Hammers manager Sam Allardyce wants to make the transfer permanent, according to Simon Jones of the Daily Mail.
But Jones notes that the £12 million valuation on the England under-21 international could scupper the move in the eyes of West Ham.
Allardyce is in a tricky situation here. He knows Jenkinson has been a key figure in his team's rise into the Champions League places this season.
The east London club are also providing the former Charlton Athletic defender with confidence and experience as a first-team regular, and the youngster is repaying them with some excellent displays.
But with that form comes an increase in valuation, and Arsenal will have noted what their player has achieved with the Hammers.
Wenger must also consider the injuries suffered by Debuchy so far this season, with the France international currently out with a dislocated shoulder. He also had an ankle ligament problem earlier in the campaign.
It is an intriguing situation that underlines a potential danger in the loan system, but the cards are stacked in Arsenal's favour despite Jenkinson being the beneficiary of a potential permanent move to West Ham.
Believability Meter: Medium
Jenkinson has been excellent for West Ham during his loan spell to date, and it comes as no surprise to see Allardyce linked with a permanent move for the youngster.
But Wenger and Arsenal will not have been blind to the defender's progress at Upton Park and are within their rights to seek a big fee.
And with their move to the Olympic Stadium on the horizon, the Hammers will be looking to tread a fine financial line in the coming months.
Kevin Mirallas-Aaron Lennon Switch Could Suit Both Everton and Tottenham
5 of 7
If you had asked any Everton on Monday night whether they would be willing to see Kevin Mirallas leave the club, few would have responded negatively.
Indeed, after the Belgium international appeared to ignore team orders and allow Leighton Baines to take a penalty against West Bromwich Albion and promptly miss, even Sylvester Stallone—a guest on the big screen at Goodison Park that night—would have been a more popular signing.
It was inevitable that the 27-year-old would be linked with a transfer in the wake of his half-time withdrawal from the action in the 0-0 draw.
However, even before the start of the match, Tom Collomosse of the London Evening Standard was discussing a possible Tottenham move for Mirallas with Aaron Lennon travelling in the opposite direction.
It was almost as if the former Olympiacos man, who joined the Toffees in August 2012, was attempting to add fuel to the rumour by appearing to be upset his team-mates and manager Roberto Martinez.
The Goodison boss played down suggestions that Mirallas was removed from the game over the penalty incident, as Dave Prentice of the Liverpool Echo reported, but any simmering anger and resentment could be resolved with a swap move.
And one player who is itching to prove his point is Lennon. Like Mirallas, the winger is 27 and has 18 months left on his current deal.
Unlike the Belgian, though, Lennon has found himself sidelined under Mauricio Pochettino at White Hart Lane.
Mirallas has scored eight goals in 19 appearances for Everton this season, but he has already stalled on a new deal, as Neil Jones of the Liverpool Echo reported earlier in January.
Lennon is likely to be in no doubt that a move to Everton would enhance his chances of first-team football and a potential England recall.
He has proved in his limited appearances this season that he still has the form to play in the Premier League, and Everton could benefit from a player with a point to prove in their current perilous position.
It might also prove a great move for team morale at Goodison.
Believability Meter: Medium to high
With Mirallas' name sullied by the events of Monday night and his apparent reluctance to commit himself to Everton, Toffees supporters would welcome a replacement such as Lennon, who wants a fresh start.
Swap deals are rare occurrences in the January transfer window, with clubs looking to strengthen with additions to the squad.
But this is a move that could be pushed through if Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is prepared to add cash to Lennon for Mirallas.
Martin Odegaard Deal Might Have Disrupted Raheem Sterling's Contract Talks
6 of 7
Raheem Sterling is making Liverpool work hard to secure him to a long-term contract extension and ease the pain of Steven Gerrard's impending departure.
Over the weekend, it was reported that Sterling had rejected a second contract offer from the club, leaving their pledge that they would have his future secured before the end of the current month in doubt.
According to the Daily Mirror:
"[The failure to tie Sterling down] is a major embarrassment for the club after they promised to have [his] future signed and sealed by the end of January to ease the pain of losing Steven Gerrard to the MLS.
Sterling rejected Liverpool’s opening offer last month after describing their bid to double his wages to £70,000 a week as unacceptable.
Their latest, improved offer has met with the same answer. It seems that Liverpool must now break through the £100,00-a-week barrier if they want to keep the 20-year-old happy.
"
It would perhaps seem that Real Madrid's signing of Martin Odegaard came at an awkward time for Liverpool, especially with the accompanying reports that the 16-year-old Norwegian phenom had secured a contract worth around £80,000 a week, as reported by The Daily Telegraph.
Infinitely more established than Odegaard, if Sterling was currently mulling over a deal worth in the region of £85-90,000, then perhaps it is no surprise he rejected it.
It is often silly to compare different salary deals of different players at different clubs, but come contract-negotiation time, it is a brilliant bargaining chip for many agents. Sterling has returned from a mid-season break in brilliant form; his bargaining power has arguably never been higher.
His representatives know this and, with Odegaard shifting the market, know there is still more money to be got for their client.
Believability Meter: Medium
Sterling signing a new contract with Liverpool is far and away the most likely outcome in this situation, but there remains a fair bit of negotiating and bargaining to be done before we reach that point.
Sterling's camp are well within their rights to demand the best possible deal for their client, but on the other hand, Liverpool have a similar right to push for the best deal they can—not just for their own finances but to ensure Sterling still has an incentive to keep improving.
Real Madrid's Odegaard signing perhaps distorted the market at a delicate moment in negotiations, but you would assume it is only delaying an eventual agreement.
Arsenal Set for Gabriel Paulista Signing
7 of 7
Villarreal say that they and Arsenal have agreed a deal in principle for centre-back Gabriel Paulista, according to BBC Sport.
According to the report, Arsenal would sign the 24-year-old defender and send Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell in the other direction on loan for the rest of the season. Paulista, a Brazilian who has yet to be capped by the senior national team, would need to obtain a work permit to play in England.
Paulista is rated around £15 million, according to BBC Sport.
Believability Meter: Very high
As Villarreal have announced the deal, it appears all but done. And it makes perfect sense for Arsenal.
It's little secret that Arsenal need a defender, particularly a centre-back. Injuries and a lack of cover have exposed the Gunners' lack of depth at the back.
As B/R's James McNicholas notes, Paulista's signing would make sense for manager Arsene Wenger:
"The need for a new centre-back, however, remains acute. The loss of Mathieu Debuchy to a shoulder problem has stretched Arsenal’s defensive resources perilously thin.
It seems Wenger has finally identified the man he wants: Gabriel. The 24-year-old has enjoyed a breakout season in Spain, earning plaudits for his aggressive man-marking style. Crucially, he’s versatile, too, able to play on either the left or the right of the central-defensive partnership.
"
Campbell, meanwhile, has failed to make much of an impression in the first team. His playing time has been limited because the Gunners have plenty of options in attack.
Yaya Sanogo and Lukas Podolski have already left the club on loan during the current transfer window. It now appears Campbell is destined to be the next out the door.









