Updates from Thursday, Oct. 16
A note posted on the Dallas County website Thursday said two scheduled hearings in case — Jana Weckerly’s suit accused Jones of sexually assaulting her at a local hotel in 2009 — had been canceled after the case was settled 'per mediator.' But attorneys for Weckerly and Jones later clarified that the suit was dismissed by the judge.
'We are pleased with the Court’s Judgment against Ms. Weckerly,' Levi McCathern II, the attorney representing the Cowboys and Jones, said in a brief statement sent to The Dallas Morning News. 'Ms. Weckerly’s allegations were false. This case is over.'
Thomas Bowers, Weckerly’s attorney, said he and his client 'do not contest the Judgment as entered by the Court. Neither Jerry Jones nor the Cowboys organization has paid us any money.'
Updates from Thursday, Sept. 25
Weckerly's lawsuit has been amended, according to a report from the Associated Press (via ESPN.com):
An Oklahoma woman says in a lawsuit that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones paid her for at least four years to prevent her from reporting an alleged sexual assault.
Jana Weckerly's attorney, Thomas Bowers, filed an updated lawsuit Monday that accuses Jones of forcibly touching Weckerly's genitals and kissing her on the lips without her consent more than 5 years ago, then bullying her into not reporting the alleged attack. The lawsuit seeks more than $1 million in damages.
Jones has denied Weckerly's allegations and the Cowboys on Wednesday referred to an earlier statement from Jones attorney Levi McCathern calling the claims "completely false."
"This is nothing more than an attempt to embarrass and extort Jerry Jones," McCathern said in the statement made immediately after the lawsuit was initially filed Sept. 8.
The updated version of the lawsuit filed this week, parts of which were blacked out when publicly released per a judge's order, claims Jones and the Cowboys sent money to Weckerly's bank account from 2009 until at least July 2013. The lawsuit says her bank records can prove the payments occurred, though no records are included in her court filing.
She also accused Jones, the Cowboys and a longtime lawyer for Jones of taking her cell phone's memory card, which contained photos that were then leaked and posted on the Internet.
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was accused of sexual assault in a lawsuit filed Monday by the woman who allegedly took the photographs of Jones in a bathroom with women that were leaked this summer.
According to Scott Farwell of The Dallas Morning News, Jana Weckerly, 27, a former exotic dancer, claims Jones assaulted her "after a June 2009 incident in a local hotel." Photos of Jones in provocative positions with two women showed up on the gossip website TerezOwens.com last month (Warning: Images are NSFW).
Weckerly took the photos and says Jones assaulted her after she rebuffed his advances.
"Weckerly maintained sobriety and managed to escape Jones’ hotel room by convincing everyone to go dancing," Thomas Bowers, Weckerly's attorney, said in a statement (via Tom Ley of Deadspin). "As the night progressed and alcohol kicked in, Weckerly became increasingly uncomfortable and continued to refuse Jones’ advances."
She also alleges the Cowboys boss attempted to cover up the assault by having her sign a waiver form after being with him. The suit asks for damages of more than $1 million.
In a statement released to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, Levi McCathern, Jones' attorney, calls the lawsuit a "money grab." Jones also denies all allegations of impropriety:
These allegations are completely false. The legal complaint is unsupported by facts or evidence of any kind. This is nothing more than an attempt to embarrass and extort Jerry Jones. This is a shakedown by a lawyer who is a solo practitioner just trying to make a name for himself. The alleged incidents would have been more than five years old.
We intend to vigorously contest this complaint and expect it will be shown for what it is–a money grab. Due to the seriousness of these baseless allegations, we have also involved law enforcement.
Jones said the photos were a "misrepresentation" of events, when they were first leaked.
"Someone has misrepresented photos taken at a restaurant five years ago for their own purposes, and so I'm just not going to comment," Jones told reporters.
Frank Hoover, who used to be a well-known Dallas promoter, alleged the photos were part of an extortion plot, as Ley noted. In a 20-page letter, Hoover explained the plot centered on him and an associate named Kevion Hickman. Bowers confirmed to Ley that Weckerly gave the photos to Hickman but did not admit to any attempts to extort Jones to prevent their release.
TMZ spoke with the two women who were shown with Jones. Both deny any involvement in the initial extortion plot and were not named in the lawsuit. They also claim to have not been aware the photos were being taken.
No criminal charges have been filed against Jones, nor has there been any indication police are investigating the incident. It is atypical even for civil sexual assault lawsuits to not be related to events first investigated by law enforcement. Florio noted it's possible the suit could be thrown out of court because too much time has passed. (The pictures were taken in 2009.)
However, Jones will undoubtedly face a tough punishment from the NFL if the allegations are founded. But there are far more questions than answers at this point.
Follow Tyler Conway (@tylerconway22) on Twitter