World Football
HomeScoresTransfer RumorsUSWNTUSMNTPremier LeagueChampions LeagueLa LigaSerie ABundesligaMLSFIFA Club World Cup
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

Paper Review: Hodgson Fallout Continues, Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo

Ian RodgersOct 20, 2013

The issue of Roy Hodgson's half-time comment about Andros Townsend continues to resonate in Sunday's newspapers, but the headlines are supportive of the national team manager.

The England boss has seen what should have been a week of plaudits after his team qualified for the 2014 World Cup finals wrecked by the leak of his half-time team talk to the newspapers.

Townsend himself believes his Football Association ban for betting has helped him become a better player for club and country.

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has voiced his fears that Sir Alex Ferguson's forthcoming book could injure his relationship with the fans, according to one report.

And could Cristiano Ronaldo be on the way out of Real Madrid in a blockbuster move to an up-and-coming European power?

Read on to find out more.

Hodgson Backed over Townsend Comment as Player Reveals Ban Improved Him

1 of 5

England manager Hodgson has received support across the newspapers on Sunday over his comment about Townsend during half-time in the World Cup qualifier against Poland on Tuesday night.

With Hodgson and his team celebrating the 2-0 victory, which clinched a safe passage to the 2014 World Cup finals, news emerged that the manager had used the phrase "feed the monkey" as part of a description with regard to getting the ball to the Tottenham man in the second period.

Hodgson apologised immediately for the remark, which was part of an old NASA joke, and the manager also received support from players such as Rooney and Townsend himself earlier this week.

Patrick Collins of the Mail On Sunday says Hodgson should not be persecuted for a "clumsy" remark.

Rob Shepherd of the same newspaper claims the Football Association will investigate the dressing-room leak, although finding the culprit could prove difficult, as the story initially came from a source around a player rather than the player himself.

Glenn Moore of the Independent On Sunday says that the FA has called off any investigation into the leak, as the report came from a relative of one of the players.

Michael Calvin of the same newspaper outlines exactly what can happen in a sports dressing room and why its sanctity should remain intact.

Meanwhile, Townsend believes an FA ban over a betting offence has made him a better player, reports Charlie Wyett of The Sun (subscription required).

Manchester United Striker Wayne Rooney Fears Contents of Sir Alex Ferguson Book

2 of 5

Manchester United striker Rooney admits he is concerned about the contents of former manager Ferguson's forthcoming book, reports Dan King of The Sun (subscription required).

The England forward fell out with Sir Alex at the end of last season after the outgoing Old Trafford boss claimed Rooney had handed in a transfer request.

Ferguson's book will be launched on Tuesday, and King cites a United source as saying Rooney is concerned about the repercussions:

"

Wayne accepted he wasn’t going to get his wish to leave the club and now just wants the backing of the fans.

But he knows Fergie was unhappy with how he conducted himself towards the end of last season.

The real risk now is that they could be set on another collision course if Fergie decides to come out all guns blazing in his book.

"

Meanwhile, United are risking the loss of Rooney for a cut-price transfer fee after not making contact with his representatives, reports Rob Draper of the Mail On Sunday.

Ferguson has come out in support of current United manager David Moyes, claiming that any trophy this season would be an "incredible achievement," as Joe Bernstein of the Mail On Sunday reported.

Cristiano Ronaldo Reportedly Takes French Lessons in Preparation for PSG Move

3 of 5

Real Madrid star Ronaldo is taking French lessons in readiness for a £100 million move to Paris Saint-Germain next summer, reports Charlie Wyett of The Sun (subscription required).

The Portugal international agreed to a new deal with Real earlier this season to make him the best-paid player in world football, but he could earn even more with his move to the Ligue 1 champions, claims Wyett.

The 28-year-old is now on £15 million a year after overtaking PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic as the world's best-paid footballer, says the article.

Ronaldo scored from the penalty spot after Gareth Bale had been brought down in the area during Real's 2-0 win over Malaga on Saturday.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Jurgen Klopp 'Rejected' Chelsea and Man City to Stay at Borussia Dortmund

4 of 5

Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp rejected the advances of both Chelsea and Manchester City to continue his role with the Bundesliga club, reports Antony Kastrinakis of The Sun (subscription required).

Klopp, who will bring his team to London on Tuesday to face Arsenal in the Champions League, says he rejected the opportunity to move to the Premier League because he is "in the right place:"

"

There were some English clubs that called and wanted to speak with me. But there was no reason to talk to because... no chance.

It’s only hard to understand if you always think ‘I can go to a bigger club’. I’m sure you could earn much more money at one or the other English clubs, or at a Chinese or Russian club.

But it’s not the most important thing. Money is important, of course. I am not Mahatma Gandhi. If somebody told me two years ago ‘some time they will call you’, I would have said ‘impossible’. And then they called and it was nothing.

In life you have to be at the right place at the right moment. And I am at the right place at the right moment.

"

Meanwhile, City and Arsenal are lining up moves for Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski, report Paul Smith and Simon Mullock of the Sunday Mirror.

Bits and Pieces: Paul Pogba, David Ginola, FA Chairman Greg Dyke

5 of 5

Juventus playmaker Paul Pogba could be poised for a return to Manchester, reports Phil Thomas of The Sun (subscription required).

However, it is Manchester City and not Pogba's former club United who are tracking the French international, claims the report.

Thomas says Chelsea, Real Madrid and PSG are also monitoring the player, who could be prised from Juventus by a bid in excess of £40 million.

Former Newcastle United and PSG star David Ginola has found himself in trouble after making a rude hand gesture on live television on Saturday, reports the Sunday Telegraph.

The Frenchman was an analyst for BT Sport as Newcastle took on Liverpool on Saturday but was caught making the gesture after presenter Jake Humphrey joked about Ginola's attire.

Football Association chairman Greg Dyke has apologised for not announcing the full line-up of his commission looking into the state of the English game last week, reports the Sunday Express.

FA board member Heather Rabbatts criticised the makeup of the panel for being all white, as the Express noted, but Dyke says he made a mistake by not confirming the full panel earlier this week due to the furore caused by Hodgson's comments with regard to Townsend.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R