Newcastle Transfer News: Loic Remy Completes Magpies Loan Move
Queens Park Rangers striker Loic Remy will spend next season at Newcastle United on a season-long loan, according to Sky Sports.
UPDATE: Tuesday, August 6, at 7:36 a.m. BST by Ben Blackmore
Remy completed a medical on Monday, after which he said the following, per Sky Sports:
"I'm very happy to be a Newcastle player. It will be a huge honour to play for such a big club. I was very flattered by the club's interest in me back in January and also very happy that they showed interest in me again this summer.
The Premier League is the best league in the world and that's where I want to play. I am very motivated this year to get into the World Cup squad for my country and I know in order to do that I need to have a big season and a successful campaign with Newcastle United.
"
---End of update---
Original Text
Remy’s six league goals could not prevent QPR’s relegation to the Championship last season. However, his arrival will bolster Newcastle’s attacking options.
“Make no mistake, he will get between 15 and 20 goals next season if he goes to a Premier League club,” said Harry Redknapp, per Sky Sports. “He is a top-class player—a player for any club in the Premier League in my opinion.”
Newcastle had previously hoped to sign the forward in January as a replacement for Demba Ba, but he chose to join QPR instead despite initially saying he would never join the London club, according to Ben Smith of the BBC.
Remy will hope his goals can propel Newcastle back into Europe after the Tyneside club endured a difficult 2012/13 season.
The Magpies struggled for firepower following the sale of Ba to Chelsea and narrowly avoided the drop, eventually finishing in 16th.
Remy will compete for a starting spot with Papiss Cisse, whose goals have dried up after initially taking the Premier League by storm, and Yoan Gouffran.
The switch also hands Remy the platform to stake his claim for a place in France’s World Cup squad ahead of the tournament in Brazil next summer, assuming the European side qualify. France sit second in their group behind Spain with three games to play.
Lyon’s Bafetimbi Gomis is also close to joining Newcastle after Lyon accepted a bid of around £8 million for the striker, as reported by David Ornstein of the BBC.
If Newcastle can see through both signings they would have an attacking quartet capable of carrying them back into the Premier League’s top half.











.png)
.jpg)

