Nicklas Lidstrom Returning: What's Next for the Red Wings This Offseason?
On Monday morning, six-time James Norris Memorial Trophy winner Nicklas Lidstrom announced he will return for a 20th season with the Detroit Red Wings. Lidstrom and Red Wings general manager, Ken Holland, made the announcement via teleconference.
Lidstrom's decision to return lifts some pressure off the shoulders of the Red Wings front office, which is already in need of a replacement for defenseman Brian Rafalski who retired earlier this month.
"The reason for why it took so long was to be sure that I wanted to make sure I found the motivation and I was ready to commit to the workouts over the summer to be ready for next season," Lidstrom said yesterday. "I'm very happy to be back for my 20th season with the Wings."
TOP NEWS
.png)
Who Will Panthers Take at No. 9 ? 🤔
.jpg)
Could Isles Trade for Kucherov? 🤯
.png)
Draft Lottery Winners and Losers
Last season, Lidstrom proved he could still be a big time producer despite turning 40 in April 2010. Lidstrom finished the 2010-11 regular season with 62 points (16 goals and 46 assists), which was second most on the team behind only Henrik Zetterberg who had 80 points. Lidstrom also scored four goals and tallied four assists in the playoffs for the Red Wings.
In addition, Lidstrom was nominated for the Norris Trophy, which is awarded to the NHL's top defenseman, for the eleventh time.
So what impact does this announcement have on the Red Wings plans for this offseason?
With the salary cap expected to go up to $64 million Detroit will have extra money to throw at some of the top free agents. Lidstrom returning makes it unlikely the Red Wings will pursue Norris Trophy finalist Shea Webber, who will either re-sign with the Nashville Predators or become a restricted free agent and demand more money then Detroit can afford to spend.
ESPN's Pierre LeBrun reported Holland said he will be trying to acquire two defensemen via trade or free agency. Look for the Red Wings to go after Vancouver defenseman Christian Ehrhoff and Boston Bruins defenseman Tomas Kaberle. Ehrhoff would be the best choice for the Red Wings because at 28 he is five years younger then Kaberle.
If Detroit can't sign Ehrhoff or Kaberle, they will likely sign a second tier unrestricted free agent defenseman and hope young players Jakub Kindl and Brendan Smith emerge next season.
The Red Wings will also be pursuing a left wing to add some depth to the position. This is due to the aging of Todd Bertuzzi, Thomas Holmstrom, and center Kris Draper whose contract is unlikely be retained by Detroit.
Jaromir Jagr appears to be who the Red Wings are after for this need. Jagr may be 39 years old, but he will bring veteran experience and would help improve Detroit's power play.
Do not expect the Red Wings to pursue a big name left wing until next season when Lidstrom will likely retire and give Detroit an extra $6.2 million to spend.
The final need for the Red Wings this offseason is an established backup goalie. Joey MacDonald came up from Detroit's AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins, and made 15 appearances for the Red Wings last season. MacDonald struggled though and went just 5-5.
Look for the Red Wings to go after Anaheim Ducks' backup net-minder Ray Emery. Either Brian Boucher or Michael Leighton could leave the Philadelphia Flyers as well if one feels they are the odd man out of the starting job.
There will be plenty of news surrounding the Red Wings and their moves once free agency opens on July 1st, but for now it is just good to know Lidstrom will be wearing the "C" on his chest once again for Detroit this season.
Check out my new blog, Dirlam’s Dirty Dugout Sports Blog, which features this story along with other articles and video reports on the major sports. You can also follow my blog on Twitter, @DirtyDugoutBlog.





.png)
