
Ranking the Top 10 January Transfer Window Rumors of the Week (Dec. 13-19)
He's made the headlines again, Andres Iniesta has. Now Manchester City wants to up the ante on Barcelona and offer a cool 100 million euros to the Spanish superstar. Yes, the Blues are that desperate for his services. I kid you not.
Meanwhile, there is other big news regarding Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez as we take a look at the Top 10 January transfer window rumors of the week that was Dec. 13-19.
10. German Side Wolfsburg to Make £11m Bid for Arsenal Midfielder Denilson
1 of 10
Steve McClaren’s Wolfsburg have reportedly made Arsenal midfielder Denilson their major target in the January transfer window.
The 22-year-old joined Arsenal from his native Brazil in 2006 and has struggled to hold down a first-team place ever since. Both a tough-tackling but technically-gifted defensive midfielder, Denilson has found himself further down the Arsenal pecking order given the emergence this season of Jack Wilshere .
The Daily Mirror reports this morning that Wolfsburg coach Steve McClaren will approach Gunners’ boss Arsene Wenger about Denilson and will offer as much as £11million for his signature.
Wolfsburg were crowned Bundesliga champions in the 2008-09 season and enjoyed Champions League football last term. However, McClaren’s side find themselves at the wrong end of the table this season with star striker Edin Dzeko reportedly on his way out.
Denilson has started just three Premier League games for Arsenal all season and would certainly expect greater first-team opportunities at Wolfsburg.
9. Manchester City Target Dani Alves Refuses To Rule out Barcelona Exit
2 of 10
Barcelona star Dani Alves says that agreeing on a new deal is a priority but has refused to rule out a move away from the Camp Nou, with Manchester City long thought to be interested in the 27-year-old.
With Alves' contract expiring in June 2012, Barcelona had been hoping to tie Brazilian international Alves down to an extended deal, but as of yet, he has refused to sign.
There appears to be no breaking the impasse at the moment with Alves open-minded about the possibility of leaving Barcelona.
He told Spanish daily Marca, "My priority now is Barcelona...but I cannot close the door to my future elsewhere. I feel happy here, but the two sides have to agree."
The Brazilian defender has been linked with a move to Manchester City for some time. Reports last month indicated that the Eastlands outfit are willing to offer the player an €8 million contract. However, there has also been speculation that Chelsea would challenge Manchester City for Alves' signature, should he become available.
Alves joined Barcelona from Sevilla in 2008 and is one of the best attacking right-backs in the world, underlined by his 2010 Ballon D’Or nomination. Since arriving at the Camp Nou, Alves has won the Spanish league twice and a Champions League.
8. Inter Milan To Challenge Liverpool for Bolton Striker Johan Elmander
3 of 10
Former Liverpool manager and current Inter Milan boss Rafa Benitez will reportedly look to pip his former club to the signing of Bolton Wanderers striker Johan Elmander .
Elmander's contract at Wanderers expires at the end of the season, and he has so far turned down a one-year extension. Although the Swedish international has taken a while to settle down at the Reebok Stadium, he has had a stunning start to the season, with eight goals and three assists for Owen Coyle's side.
Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson and his No. 2 Sammy Lee have reportedly watched Elmander closely this season and would like to pair him with Fernando Torres .
However, according to the Sunday Mirror, former Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez will look to bring Elmander to the San Siro. Samuel Eto'o is rumoured to be on the verge of leaving Inter Milan and should the Cameroon striker be removed from the wage bill, Benitez will be able to make Elmander a large offer.
7. Tottenham Want To Sign Former Arsenal Man José Antonio Reyes from Atletico
4 of 10
Tottenham have made enquiries about signing former Arsenal man José Antonio Reyes from Atletico Madrid , according to Spanish sources.
Although he had problems adapting to life in the Premiership with Arsenal, there is no denying Reyes' talent. When on song, he can do just about everything—shoot dribble, pass or cross—although sometimes he is a little too greedy.
The 27-year-old forward/left winger scored three and set up seven for the La Liga outfit last term and has a goal and an assist to his name so far this season.
He has a contract until 2014 with Atletico, and it could be a big ask for Tottenham to lure him to White Hart Lane since according to Spanish reports, he has said he'd like to stay at the Madrid side.
He is valued at €10M-15M.
6. Manchester United Target Alexis Sanchez Wants To Move to England
5 of 10
Chilean attacker Alexis Sanchez, long linked with Manchester United , has reportedly said that he would like to move to England.
Manchester United have been linked with the 21-year-old for some time, and Sir Alex Ferguson admitted that they had been tracking Sanchez several months ago.
Chile international Sanchez, who predominantly plays on the right, can play all across the front line. He possesses excellent dribbling skills and is very inventive.
He has been at Serie A side Udinese since 2007. Sanchez's agent has said that although he will remain at Udinese until the end of the season, Manchester United are still chasing him.
Sanchez's agent Fernando Felicevich recently commented, "Manchester United has been following the performances of Alexis since some time ago, and it could be a possibility in the future.
"The Premier League would be a good destination for Alexis as he is young, strong and very fast, something very important for being able to have success in that league."
Now, the Daily Mirror reports that Sanchez himself has said that he would like to move to England, further fuelling speculation over a switch to Old Trafford.
Sanchez has scored once and contributed two assists so far for Udinese this season.
5. Manchester City Bid €35 Million for Ajax Striker Luis Suarez
6 of 10
Manchester City have bid €35 million for Ajax Amsterdam striker Luis Suarez, according to the German 4-4-2 Web site.
The Uruguay international is one of the most in-demand forwards in Europe at the moment, and he has been chased by a host of other clubs, including Manchester United, Juventus FC Torino and Liverpool, with the Anfield outfit reportedly having tabled an preliminary offer for his services.
The 23-year-old has scored 11 goals and set up nine in 22 games this season, following his staggering 41 goals and 17 assists last campaign.
He also popped up with three goals and two assists at the World Cup in South Africa.
Also according to the report, Manchester City will look to further boost their forward line with VfL Wolfsburg hit-man Edin Dzeko, although the Bundesliga outfit's managing director, Dieter Hoeness, insists the 24-year-old Bosnian striker is still not for sale.
4. Manchester City Still Considering Bid for French Midfielder Yoann Gourcuff
7 of 10
Although he only signed for Lyon four months ago, Manchester City are reportedly considering a bid for playmaker Yoann Gourcuff .
Manchester City were thought to be pursuing 24-year-old Gourcuff over the summer, but in the end, he moved to Lyon from Bordeaux for €22 million. Gourcuff scored 23 goals over the last two seasons for Bordeaux after leaving AC Milan.
His excellent performances earned him the French Young Player of the Year award in 2008. He has made a positive start to his Lyon career, scoring twice and providing three assists so far this season.
Gourcuff played two games for France in the World Cup, but like most of his teammates, he had a desperately disappointing tournament and he even got sent off against South Africa as Les Bleus were dumped out of the competition.
The Daily Star Sunday reports that although most clubs would view a recently-transferred player as off limits, Manchester City are prepared to use their huge spending power to bring Gourcuff to Eastlands for £25million in order to add a creative spark to Roberto Mancini's midfield.
3. Real Madrid Are Behind Carlos Tevez's Manchester City Exit
8 of 10
A report in Spanish daily Sport has suggested that Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is the power behind Carlos Tevez 's transfer request at Manchester City .
Manchester City are desperate to keep Tevez, for what are likely to be the peak years of his career. The club suggested that the Argentinean had been led astray by his advisors, but Tevez insists that is not the case and that his decision to leave Eastlands is based on family reasons.
The 26-year-old has become Manchester City 's top scorer, captain and talisman and has scored 10 goals so far this season after hitting 21 goals last term.
Sport suggests that Real Madrid want to sign Tevez and that his transfer request has been instigated by Bernabeu chief Florentino Perez.
They quote a "senior Manchester City executive" who claims that "I do not know for sure that Madrid are after him, but we have a well-founded suspicion."
Sport points out that Perez has often refused to negotiate directly with the club in previous transfer dealings, persuading players such as Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo to first demand a transfer before making his move.
Apparently, Real Madrid made enquiries about Tevez last summer but without any success. It is no secret that Jose Mourinho is currently looking for another striker, given that Gonzalo Higuain is out injured, and the Real Madrid coach appears to have little confidence in Frenchman Karim Benzema.
2. Wayne Rooney Would Join Fabio Capello at Inter Milan
9 of 10
Rumours continue in Italy that European champions Inter Milan are lining up Fabio Capello to take over from an under-pressure Rafa Benitez. Latest reports claim that Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney would join Capello at the San Siro.
Benitez is undergoing a difficult period at Inter Milan, and with the club in a disappointing seventh place in Serie A, speculation persists that club owner Massimo Moratti is losing patience with Benitez.
Although Luciano Spalletti is also thought to be an option, Inter Milan are reportedly considering making an approach to Capello. Some reports say that the FA would let the Italian leave and therefore avoid paying compensation for Capello's departure.
Now, Italian website Tuttomercato claims that should Capello move to the San Siro, he will make the signing of Wayne Rooney from Manchester United one of his first objectives. Apparently, Moratti would welcome Rooney's arrival and is prepared to spend 34 million euros to capture the Manchester United star.
Rooney recently concluded a convoluted contract saga. Having announced that he would leave Old Trafford, he was persuaded to stay at Manchester United and promptly signed a five-year deal worth £250,000-a-week.
Rooney has endured a very difficult season so far. He has failed to score from open play and has had to cope with embarrassing revelations over his private life.
1. Barcelona Will Listen to Massive €100m Manchester City Bid for Andres Iniesta
10 of 10
Manchester City are reportedly preparing to make a stunning bid for Barcelona's influential midfielder Andres Iniesta .
Barcelona would be desperate to hold onto the player who has just made the three-man shortlist for the 2010 FIFA World Player of the Year award. But, according to Yahoo Sports, Manchester City believe that with Barcelona's financial situation far from being healthy, they can persuade the Nou Camp club to part ways with the 26-year-old with a massive €100m bid.
Yahoo Sports quotes a source indicating that a €100million bid from Manchester City for Iniesta would not fall on deaf ears, saying, “He has had an amazing year and he is part of the fabric of [Barcelona], but that doesn’t mean the right offer won’t be considered and possibly accepted.”
Iniesta is contracted to Barcelona until 2015, having played at the Camp Nou for his entire career.









