The Pac-12 conference has postponed all college sports through the end of the 2020 calendar year, nixing all nonconference basketball games for the 2020-21 season until January at the earliest.
The conference announced its decision Tuesday afternoon.
"We know that this is a difficult day for our student-athletes, and our hearts go out to them and their families," Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said in a statement. "We have made clear that all of their scholarships will be guaranteed, and that as a conference we are strongly encouraging the NCAA to grant them an additional year of eligibility."
The move follows decisions by the Big Ten and Pac-12 to postpone their respective college football seasons, though there remains optimism among conference officials that the sport could resume in the spring.
No other Power Five conferences are "expediting" their decisions on nonconference basketball games, per CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein.
University of Oregon President Michael H. Schill said in a statement:
"All of the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors understand the importance of this decision, and the disappointment it will create for our student-athletes, the coaches, support staff and all of our fans. Ultimately, our decision was guided by science and a deep commitment to the health and welfare of student-athletes. We certainly hope that the Pac-12 will be able to return to competition in the New Year.”
A number of nonconference games and tournaments will be impacted by the Pac-12's decision, including:
- Nov. 14: Washington vs. Tulane in Shanghai, China
- Nov. 23-24: Hall of Fame Classic in Kansas City, Missouri (Cal)
- Nov. 23-25: Cayman Islands Classic in Grand Cayman, Cayman Island (Oregon State)
- Nov. 23-25: Maui Invitational in Maui, Hawaii (Stanford)
- Nov. 23-25: Fort Myers Tip-Off in Fort Myers, Florida (Colorado)
- Nov. 25-27: Battle 4 Atlantis in Nassau, Bahamas (Utah)
- Nov. 25-27: NIT Season Tip-Off in Brooklyn, New York (Arizona)
- Nov. 26-27: Wooden Legacy in Anaheim, California (UCLA)
- Nov. 27-28: Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville, Florida (Oregon)
- Dec. 13: Basketball Hall of Fame Invitational in Brooklyn, New York (Stanford)
- Dec. 19: CBS Sports Classic, location TBD (UCLA)
- Dec. 19: Phoenix Showcase in Phoenix, Arizona (Arizona State)
- Dec. 22-25: Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu, Hawaii (Arizona State)
- Dec. 19: USC at Kansas
- Dec. 22 Colorado vs. Kansas
The Pac-12 had previously scheduled conference games from late November to early December this season. It is unclear if those games will be rescheduled.
Tuesday's decision was made in consultation with the conference's athletics directors as well as the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee. The conference also released updated Return to Play Considerations.
The league's COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee is made up of medical experts at each of the member institutions.