
Chelsea Reportedly Make Jack Butland Top Target Amid Thibaut Courtois Rumours
Thibaut Courtois has reportedly gone "AWOL" from Chelsea in an attempt to force through a transfer to Real Madrid this summer.
According to Matt Law of the Telegraph, the Belgium international stayed away from Wembley for the Community Shield showdown with Manchester City on Sunday and also didn't turn up at training Monday when he was expected to hold discussions with manager Maurizio Sarri.
Dean Jones of Bleacher Report confirmed Courtois has not returned for training.
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
"The situation has echoes of Diego Costa going on strike to force a move to Atletico Madrid last season, as Courtois waits to find out whether he will be allowed to join Real Madrid," said Law. "Real have bid £35 million for Courtois and the Belgian’s agent Christophe Henrotay last week called on the club to let him go."

It's added the Blues are keen to find a replacement before letting Courtois move on, with Jack Butland of Stoke City said to be the "most likely" acquisition at this point. Sevilla’s Sergio Rico is also said to be a target.
Alan Myers of Sky Sports reported the Blues have made Butland their priority after Everton refused to enter into negotiations for England star Jordan Pickford:
According to Law, it was expected Courtois would return to the Blues' Cobham training complex at 4 p.m. Monday along with Eden Hazard, Michy Batshuayi, N'Golo Kante, Olivier Giroud and Gary Cahill, who were all involved in the latter stages of the FIFA World Cup.
However, it's noted Courtois has not showed, and Chelsea now appear to have a massive decision to make. Their star goalkeeper only has one year remaining on his contract at Stamford Bridge, and the Blues only have until 5 p.m. on Thursday to land his replacement.
Kristof Terreur of Het Laatste Nieuws noted that this is not the first time Courtois has been involved in this type of scenario:
The situation is far from ideal for Chelsea and Sarri. The club has felt on hold for long spells in this off-season, with former boss Antonio Conte only dismissed late in the summer, giving the new man plenty of work to do on the training pitch and in terms of transfers.
Courtois has been one of the most dependable members of the Chelsea side in recent years, so losing him would represent a significant blow. He's been wonderful for four years as a starter for the Blues, helping the team win two Premier League titles.
Still, Sarri hinted after the Community Shield that if the goalkeeper wants to make a move, he will be sold:
While Butland is a decent goalkeeper—it's added he'd be available for £25 million by Law— and has been a standout man for the Potters, there's no doubt he'd represent a downgrade on Courtois.
As such, Chelsea appear set to start the season weaker between the sticks. In a summer that's felt chaotic on the field and off it, and on the back of an emphatic defeat to City in the Community Shield, that'll be a worry for those who frequent Stamford Bridge.






