
What We've Learned from Oakland Raiders Training Camp so Far
Throughout training camp and preseason, you're going to hear the adjective "competitive" connected to Oakland Raiders practices. Head coach Jack Del Rio even added "ultra" before the description to emphasize the battles that go on in Napa, California.
Typically, Del Rio doesn't step to the microphone and sugarcoat his assessments. When breaking down his quotes, you can quickly pick up who's doing well and which players need work. For those attending training camp, the standouts and setbacks jump out clearly to the eye.
This year, the Raiders have rumblings away from the field, which involve a Pro Bowl left tackle responsible for preventing talented edge-rushers from crushing quarterback Derek Carr.
After eight practices, there are several developments to monitor with the first preseason game approaching on Saturday. What have we found out about this year's roster through training camp thus far?
Sean Smith's Starting Job Isn't Safe
1 of 8
Last year, the Raiders' perimeter cornerbacks struggled for extended stretches in coverage. However, Sean Smith has allowed the 2016 hangover to linger through training camp.
The 30-year-old cornerback lined up with the second team over the past three practices, per NBCS Bay Area reporter Scott Bair. According to Las Vegas Review-Journal writer Michael Gehlken, Smith showed poor body language as he lined up with the second unit.
"On Friday and Saturday, Smith worked with the second-team defense at outside corner," Gehlken wrote. "His body language on the field did not radiate enjoyment with the assignment. On Sunday, the Raiders unveiled something new, featuring Smith as a linebacker in the Raiders’ dime sub-package."
Obviously, players won't show excitement for a demotion, but Smith must put energy and effort into his practices or he'll find himself buried on the depth chart. The ninth-year veteran possesses the tools to reclaim his starting spot, but it starts with better performances.
Who knows, at his size (6'3", 218 lbs), we could see Smith transition to a hybrid linebacker role before second-round pick Obi Melifonwu nails down the position if T.J. Carrie holds on to the outside cornerback spot and rookie Gareon Conley steps into the slot position.
Many fans have asked about cutting Smith, but it's not beneficial considering he's already set to make $9.5 million guaranteed to his bank account.
Donald Penn and Reggie McKenzie Prepare for Staredown
2 of 8
There's a new development concerning left tackle Donald Penn's holdout. According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport (h/t NFL.com), we're headed for a summer staredown between the player and general manager Reggie McKenzie.
The Raiders executive says the team will not address a contract dispute until Penn reports to camp. The 34-year-old tackle says he won't come to camp without a new deal already in place.
Who blinks first?
According to San Francisco Chronicle reporter Vic Tafur, the Raiders could fine Penn $40,000 per day to encourage his return or just give the cold shoulder. Somehow a liaison between the two sides will likely lure the player into camp somewhere between the second and third preseason game after the two-time Pro Bowler enjoys an extended summer break.
Penn isn't a free agent. He's still on the books, though underpaid, it's highly unlikely he'll miss regular-season games in a contract year to prove a point at 34 years old. However, the Raiders don't have a solid replacement for him coming off a Pro Bowl season.
Both sides need each other. They'll eventually agree on a deal.
Donald Penn's Holdout Improves Vadal Alexander's Chance at Right Tackle
3 of 8
During Penn's holdout, newcomer Marshall Newhouse has shifted over to play left tackle. It's not ideal for the Raiders, but it's the best alternative in order to keep Kelechi Osemele at his natural position on the left side of the interior.
Furthermore, rookie seventh-round tackle Jylan Ware took a hit and walked off the field on Sunday, per Gehlken.
Bair hosted a Periscope session and made note that Vadal Alexander has performed well on the right side. He's taken advantage of Penn's holdout, which prompted Newhouse to abandon reps at his natural position.
The 2016 seventh-rounder is looking forward to practicing with talented edge-rushers to boost his game, per Raiders.com digital media producer Kyle Martin:
"I know if I can block them, I can block many guys in this league, and I love going against the best because I want to be the best. So going against Khalil and Bruce is amazing, I pick their brains every day to see what they’re thinking about as far as what I’m doing wrong, what they’re thinking about, so I can improve.”
Penn's extended time away from the field further opens the door for Alexander to solidify a starting spot at right tackle. Newhouse would become the odd man out, who falls into a reserve role in this particular scenario.
Marquel Lee Starting and Showing Progress
4 of 8
Raiders fans want to hear one of three things pertaining to the middle linebacker position: the team signs Perry Riley Jr., Zach Orr or sees major progress in Marquel Lee. Thus far, none of the above happened through the first week of training camp.
However, Del Rio gave slightly encouraging news to local reporters on the fifth-round pick after Sunday's practice:
"I think he's been fairly solid from the time he's been here. He's done a pretty good job. He's battling every day, trying to soak up as much as he can. He's a conscientious kid. He's got good, size movement. He shows up in the run periods maybe a little more now than the pass periods, but he's making progress."
The Wake Forest product still needs work in his pass-coverage patterns, but he seems like a natural run-stopper. Of course, there's room for the 21-year-old to grow through the summer.
At the moment, the middle linebacker spot remains in contention with a chance that a veteran will step in late in the preseason.
Cornerback Breon Borders Could Be Next Undrafted Gem
5 of 8
Now, we'll discuss training camp standouts. Undrafted rookie cornerback Breon Borders generated light buzz during May and June, but he's popped as a sleeper to make the 53-man roster due to his performances in July and August. He's already gained some respect from Carr, who talked about the Duke product making plays all over the field.
"All that you can see is, 'Man, who's 31?' kind of a thing," Carr said. "And then throughout the offseason and here at camp, he's really proven himself. The more guys that we can have like that that make plays, I'm all for it."
Smith lost his reps with the starters, Carrie took the outside spot and Conley remains on the physically unable to perform list. As a result, Borders has stepped into an unforeseen opportunity to line up with the first team over the past few practices.
During an interview with local reporters, the undrafted rookie couldn't recall many snaps as a nickelback on the collegiate level, but he's soaking in all the reps and embracing his new role with the team.
"Actually, I never played nickel," Borders said. "I never played nickel. I may have had a few reps in college, but I never played nickel until I came here. I'm glad I got the opportunity and I'm embracing the role they gave me."
Due to Conley's prolonged stay on the PUP list with shin splints and Smith's subpar practices, there's significant uncertainty in the Raiders secondary, which allows an under-the-radar player such as Borders to rise through the ranks with a solid training camp.
Eddie Vanderdoes Unaffected by Early Camp Absence
6 of 8
Coaches, players and spectators have floated Eddie Vanderdoes' name around as another camp standout since the players put the pads on a week ago.
The UCLA product used a handful of practices to show he hasn't skipped a beat despite missing organized team activities and mandatory minicamp, per ESPN.com reporter Paul Gutierrez.
The third-rounder also caught defensive end Mario Edwards Jr.'s attention, someone who knows how to bring pressure on the interior. The third-year defensive lineman commented to reporters about what he saw in Vanderdoes.
"He's a hell of a player," Edwards said. "He's really strong, has good hands. He is going to make some noise this year."
Jihad Ward started training camp on the PUP list after undergoing surgery on his left foot, per Rapoport. Edwards must prove he can stay healthy for an extended period of time. The Raiders need to see another interior defensive lineman show promise to strengthen the run defense and occupy blocks in the pass-rush lanes.
The preseason spotlight will shine brightly on Vanderdoes. The Raiders may take a conservative approach with Edwards' snaps to ensure he's healthy for the regular season.
Seth Roberts Has Stronghold on Slot Position
7 of 8
Wide receivers coach Rob Moore gave some insight to the Bay Area News Group (h/t San Jose Mercury News reporter Jimmy Durkin) on wide receiver Seth Roberts' 2016 season.
"People don't understand that he had to play with a double hernia," Moore said. "The problem he had last year, he got that fixed this offseason. I think he'll have a lot more core strength and the balls won't get ripped away from him as much as they did in the past."
Roberts' double hernia likely factored into his poor numbers, specifically in the second half of the season. In the last eight games, he failed to amass more than 32 receiving yards and reached the end zone once.
According to Durkin's report, Moore expects Roberts to improve in his fourth year with the team after addressing the defect in his core. The San Jose Mercury News reporter also noted wideout Cordarrelle Patterson hasn't taken many snaps in the slot.
"Patterson is primarily getting reps as an outside receiver with the second team. He’s spent a little time in the slot, especially on Tuesday," Durkin wrote. "But it seems like Roberts has a grip on that role for now."
The Raiders boast a 9-0 record when Roberts catches a touchdown pass. For now, it seems like a quirky coincidence, but the slot receiver flashes as a consistent threat in the end zone. The offense finishes strong with the West Alabama product at his best. He'll likely continue to take the field on three-receiver sets for the upcoming season.
Keith McGill's Injury Opens Spot for Another Special Teamer
8 of 8
On Saturday, a core special teams contributor from the previous season went down with an injury. According to Gehlken, safety Keith McGill suffered a foot injury diagnosed as a Jones fracture, which will require surgery.
The 2014 fourth-rounder will miss the remainder of training camp, and there's uncertainty on his recovery timetable. In the meantime, special teams coach Brad Seely must scramble to find more eager contributors for the third phase of the game that's often neglected for bathroom breaks.
Nonetheless, players looking to earn a spot on the back end of the depth chart know they must stand out on special teams. Borders spoke about this particular topic with reporters.
"As an undrafted free agent you have to make sure you get to know the special teams coach and you go 100 percent every single rep on special teams because that's how you get noticed," he said.
McGill's injury brings forth some intriguing possibilities, especially if he's waived before the regular season. Rookie sixth-rounder Shalom Luani could earn a spot as a backup safety. George Atkinson III may solidify a space as a special teams ace. The coaching staff could opt to carry six wide receivers or four tight ends to fill gaps in kick coverage.
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)





.png)


