
NFL Training Camps 2016: Updates, Rumors and Analysis for August 12
The 2016 NFL preseason is well underway.
Thursday night 12 NFL teams kicked off the exhibition season. Ten more teams will join them Friday night, as veterans and rookies alike take the field for their first game action of the year.
Much will be written about those games, including by me later Friday night. But they're hardly the only news of the day. In fact, you could argue it's the practices earlier in the day and the news arising from them that will have the bigger impact on NFL teams' fortunes this season.
It's good to have games to watch, but calling them choppy is being kind.
It's actually Thursday night's contests where we'll kick off our look around the league on Friday and a less than kind review of one player's effort level in the preseason opener.
Randle an "Embarrassment"
1 of 9
The preseason is a time of hyperbole. If a player (especially a rookie) does well, he's labeled a future Hall of Famer. Struggle and out comes talk of busts and wasted picks.
As such it's hard to get too worked up over a singe review—unless it's a beat writer completely chucking a veteran under the bus.
That's what Jimmy Kempski of the Philly Voice did after watching tape of Rueben Randle's first game performance with the Eagles.
"Watched Rueben Randle's snaps from last night," Kempski tweeted. "Embarrassment. Barely ran routes. Didn't block. QBs can't possibly want him on the field."
Yikes, Jimmy. Tell us how you really feel.
It's a quick turnaround from just one week ago, when Eagles head coach Doug Pederson was talking up Randle's performance in camp while speaking with Matt Lombardo of NJ Advance Media.
"You know," Pederson said, "Rueben came back after the [gallbladder] surgery he had in the spring, healthy and ready to go. He's had a good start to camp."
There's a reason though why the Eagles were able to sign Randle to a one-year deal for just over $1 million despite his coming off a career year.
As NJ Advance Media's Jordan Ranaan wrote, Randle's four years in New York were marred by continued accusations that Randle dogged it. That his effort level was less than ideal. That he took plays off.
It's a bad habit that may have followed him to his new team.
Bosa Watch
2 of 9
I wrote Thursday about the pointlessness of the contract impasse between the San Diego Chargers and No. 3 overall pick Joey Bosa. Waxed poetically on the fact the organization's complete unwillingness to compromise on anything was accomplishing exactly squat.
Well, I wasn't entirely correct. According to the player himself, the standoff has done something after all.
It's permanently damaged any relationship that will exist between the two sides.
According to Bleacher Report's own Jason Cole, Bosa feels "disrespected" by the team. He went on to say San Diego's handling of the situation has caused "irreparable damage."
Cole isn't the only B/R scribe reporting it either. Mike Freeman passed along news of similar sentiments in Bosa's camp:
"But for now, inside parts of the Bosa camp, there is a great deal of resentment, anger and disgust with how the Chargers are handling their first-round pick, according to a person close to the player. There is always frustration in holdouts. Yet this feels different. It feels slightly more personal.
The feeling I'm getting from the source close to Bosa is that the Chargers are flexing their muscles unnecessarily, and they are poisoning their relationship with Bosa for no good reason other than because they can do it.
"There is a bitterness that I'm not sure will ever go away," said the source.
"
The general consensus seems to be that at some point Bosa will cave—that he has to. The CBA is structured in such a way that players (especially rookies) have essentially no leverage.
As Freeman points out, though, from Bosa's perspective that's sort of the point:
"It does sound odd to say that Bosa is taking a moral stand (my words—not his). But he is. The union gave in too easily on rookie deals, allowing them to be capped and leaving players with almost no bargaining power. Yet rookies are at risk of developing CTE, too, you know. And players are retiring earlier than ever before.
"
OK, it's soapbox time.
This is stupid. Monumentally, colossally stupid. It isn't like we're talking about a gulf in demands of tens of millions of dollars. This is about offset language and the manner in which Bosa will receive his signing bonus.
Not the amount of the bonus, mind you—the bookkeeping on it.
The Chargers thought enough of Bosa to make him the first defensive player taken in 2016.
Now they're going to screw up their relationship with him to prove a point? Over fine print?
Like I said, stupid.
Bills Extend Tyrod Taylor
3 of 9
Enough depressing contract news. Time for something much more positive.
Last year in training camp, Tyrod Taylor shocked many people by winning the starting job under center for the Buffalo Bills. Taylor went on to have a fine season, leading the Bills to an 8-8 record and inspiring hope that 2016 might bring with it the end of the NFL's longest postseason drought.
Now Taylor is being handsomely rewarded for his efforts.
According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Newtork, Taylor and the Bills have agreed to terms on a six-year contract extension.
The details, per Rapoport, are interesting. Taylor will make $9.5 million in 2016—a relatively small amount for a starting quarterback. Next spring, if the Bills choose to, they can then pick up the rest of the deal—and Taylor will hit the jackpot to the tune of over $27 million. It's a very team-friendly deal.
As Albert Breer of The MMQB reported, Bills general manager Doug Whaley indicated at the outset of camp that the Bills were working toward a deal that would entrench Taylor as the team's long-term answer at quarterback:
"All signs are pointing to him having a chance to be. Obviously, he’s gotta prove it. But if you look at his first year starting, 8-6, 20-6 TD-INT ratio? Does he have things to improve on? Absolutely. But I think it was a great first step. We wanna do something that’s gonna be fair for him, but also fair for us. We’re definitely not opposed to that.
"
That trench has now been completed, and when the Bills open the preseason Saturday against the Indianapolis Colts they will do so without Taylor's contract situation looming over the team.
That's called getting things done.
Maybe the Chargers should take notes.
Tyler Higbee Carving Out a Role
4 of 9
One of the preseason's most anticipated games (if there is such a thing) takes place on Saturday. After two decades away, football returns to the city of Los Angeles.
All eyes in La-La Land are going to be focused on rookie quarterback Jared Goff—the young passer the Rams mortgaged their future on to move up and select No. 1 overall.
But there's another first-year player we might not see a ton of against the Dallas Cowboys. Because as camp has progressed it's become more evident that the Rams are counting on him too much to risk getting him hurt.
That's the latest from ESPN's Steve Dilbeck, who wrote that first-year tight end Tyler Higbee has been one of camp's biggest surprises:
"Higbee is a big target (6-foot-5) with good hands, makes a play every day and appears headed for serious playing time."
Higbee, who has been dubbed "Little Baby Gronk" by second-year running back Todd Gurley, has also made an impression on head coach Jeff Fisher, according to Ryan Kartje of the Los Angeles Daily News.
“Tyler has the potential to play very, very early for us and be a big-time part of our offense,” Fisher said.
However, Fisher also noted tight ends making a big year-one dent in the NFL is a relative rarity:
"The hardest adjustment, from their standpoint, is blocking. Most of them are going to line up against the defensive end. And I’m not talking about pass protection, I’m talking about run game – and that’s not an easy thing to do. You don’t just come to the National Football League and dominate the line of scrimmage, so it takes time.
"
Outside of Gurley and young wideout Tavon Austin, the Rams are as hard-up for skill-position help as any NFL team.
Giving Goff (or Case Keenum) a big, reliable target over the middle of the field wouldn't hurt.
Gabbert to Start 49ers' Preseason Opener
5 of 9
There's a quarterback controversy in San Francisco this year. More accurately, given the players involved, it's a quarterback nontroversy.
At any rate, when the Niners open the preseason Sunday against the Houston Texans, it will be Blaine Gabbert who starts under center.
Two days ago, head coach Chip Kelly told Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle that both quarterbacks would see time with the first-team offense against Houston. Since then, however, Kaepernick has sat out two straight days of practice.
Thursday's absence was originally attributed to a rest day, but per Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News, Kelly said Kaepernick's off day Friday was the result of a sore shoulder:
"I think he feels fine and has dealt with it before. It’s just a little shoulder soreness. Our guys have thrown somewhere between 86 and 102 balls a day. Just getting him back up to throwing every day, that’s why we planned on having him take yesterday off. We knew that going in. He didn’t throw in the spring full. He’s trying to get his arm back up to where we can use them every day.
"
Kelly has made it clear he's in no huge rush to name a starter. But given Gabbert's play down the stretch last year Kaepernick entered training camp with ground to make up if he's going to take back the starting job.
That's hard to do from the sideline.
Although with how things are shaping up for the 49ers in 2016, this may be the one quarterback competition in the NFL where the loser is actually the winner.
It's going to be a long year in the Bay Area.
Tunsil Time
6 of 9
There was a time when Laremy Tunsil was considered the No. 1 prospect in the 2016 NFL draft at any position.
Not only was Tunsil leap-frogged by young quarterbacks Jared Goff and Carson Wentz, but after a video emerged of the Ole Miss tackle allegedly smoking marijuana (through a gas mask, no less), Tunsil nearly dropped out of the first half of Round 1 all together.
Tunsil's draft-day slide stopped when the Dolphins selected him at No. 13. Then came another slide, as the Dolphins elected to kick him inside to left guard. So far in camp he's played both there and as the "swing" tackle, backing up starters Ja'Wuan James and Branden Albert.
As John Congeni of the team's website reported, most of the Dolphins' starters will either play very sparingly or not at all Friday night against the Dolphins. That should mean plenty of playing time for youngsters like Tunsil, and Congeni expects him to take advantage of the opportunity:
"Tunsil is athletic but will need the preseason to adjust to the strength and speed on the inside. ... I believe that Tunsil will end up starting at left guard, and will be used as a swing lineman that can back up either tackle position. He has that mean streak you’re looking for to play this position and should be a Dolphin for a very long time.
"
Who says there's nothing to watch during preseason games?
Although, generally speaking, linemen do their best when you hear the least about them. No news is good news, and all that.
Thomas Rawls Not Quite Ready to Get Rawling
7 of 9
With Marshawn Lynch's retirement, it's a time of great uncertainty for the Seattle ground game. Thomas Rawls, who filled in admirably for an injured Lynch in 2015, was only recently activated from the PUP list after his rookie season ended with a nasty ankle injury.
It is a good sign that Rawls has returned to practice, but it will be at least another week before he takes the field for any game action.
Per the team's Twitter feed, Rawls, tight end Jimmy Graham (recovering from a serious knee injury of his own) and Kam Chancellor will all be sidelined when the Seahawks travel to Kansas City Saturday.
Rawls told Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times a few days ago that he's feeling great, even if he isn't sure when he'll resume his usual duties:
"I’m feeling good, I’m feeling awesome, I’m feeling great, I’m feeling phenomenal. Right now I’m day-to-day,’’ Rawls said. “I’m doing real good, and that’s it.
Head coach Pete Carroll insisted the team is going to play it safe where their lead back is concerned.
"We are going to be careful. There is no need to rush him at all. He’s a very violent football player, and he needs time to get ready to play the way he does. So we are going to take it, however long that is. I don’t even have a schedule at this point."
Carroll's right, of course. It would be something of a surprise if Rawls sees any action in preseason game No. 2 either. The third "dress rehearsal" game is a more likely target, although it wouldn't be a huge shock to see Rawls sit it out as well.
The team needs him in September. Not on Saturday.
Boldin Is Golden
8 of 9
Well, actually he's silver, but it rhymed.
Wide receiver Anquan Boldin spent much of the summer looking for work. But as the Detroit Lions prepare to open the preseason Friday, the veteran wideout has reportedly already carved out a nice niche for himself on his new team.
According to Kyle Meinke of MLive.com, Boldin has already moved into the No. 3 receiver role for the Lions after impressing in a big way in camp.
"Boldin is going to be the No. 3 receiver to open the season," Meinke said. "No question about it, provided he's healthy. He looks that good."
When he arrived in the Motor City, the 36-year-old Boldin stated he just wanted to help the Lions any way he could, per Meinke:
"Over my 14 years, I've learned to expect the unexpected. Sometimes with teams, you look great as a team and then injuries hit and it goes downhill. That's one thing you can't prepare for. The only thing we can do is come out every day and prepare. Prepare the best way we know how.
"
Those words proved prophetic. Only days after Boldin joined the team, tight end Eric Ebron suffered a scary-looking leg injury. That ankle sprain may not have been as bad as it looked, but it only served to underscore how sneaky-good the Boldin signing was—especially when you factor in Ebron's disappointed to this point in his career.
Boldin may be old, but he was the best wide receiver the San Francisco 49ers had last year. It wouldn't surprise me even a little if by season's end he has more receiving yards than either Golden Tate or Marvin Jones.
Jack(ed) Up
9 of 9
We'll finish Friday's look around the league just as it began—with a review of a player's performance in the preseason opener Thursday night.
Only—rather than a veteran—this youngster was making his NFL debut.
And rather than lollygagging his way around the field, if anything Jacksonville Jaguars linebacker Myles Jack was a little too, well, jacked.
Jack played 29 snaps against the New York Jets, recording a pair of tackles and one personal foul for a late hit.
That misstep aside, Jack's play drew raves from head coach Gus Bradley, according to Hays Carlyon of the Florida Times-Union:
"He really flashed. He played extremely physical and he made some flash plays. His demeanor and poise on the field were excellent. His running of the defense was very good. His physical nature jumped out."
For his part, Jack said he was just glad to get the first game out of the way:
"I learned about the speed of the game tonight. The older guys said it’s even faster in the regular season games, but it’s still good being out there. I haven’t played football in a year, so it was blessing to be back out there.
Getting live reps like that against another team and seeing a different look is very beneficial. It will be good teaching tape. I’m anxious to go see it. … It was fun calling the defense. Training camp gets you ready. It’s a hectic environment. Going into the game, I felt very prepared."
Jack may open the season backing up veteran Paul Posluszny in the middle, but if he keeps this up, he won't be for long.
I'll leave you with this thought.
Rather than rolling out a series of tomato cans at middle linebacker this year after Rolando McClain got suspended, the Dallas Cowboys could have had Jack. Instead they selected Jaylon Smith, who probably won't play a down as a rookie.
In other words, jack is exactly what they got.
And the Jaguars got one of the biggest steals of the 2016 draft.
.jpg)



.png)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)