FA Cup 2016: 3rd-Round Replay Results, Scores from Tuesday's Fixtures

Christopher Simpson@@CJSimpsonBRFeatured ColumnistJanuary 19, 2016

BOLTON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 19: Darren Pratley (L) of Bolton Wanderers celebrates scoring his team's third goal with his team mate Shola Ameobi (R) during the Emirates FA Cup Third Round Replay match between Bolton Wanderers and Eastleigh at Macron Stadium on January 19, 2016 in Bolton, England.  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)
Alex Livesey/Getty Images

A valiant effort from non-league side Eastleigh saw them run Bolton Wanderers extremely close at the Macron Stadium, but the Championship strugglers narrowly avoided an upset in a 3-2 thriller in Tuesday's replays of the FA Cup's third round.

Aston Villa laboured to a 2-0 win at home to Wycombe Wanderers, and their reward is a home tie with Manchester City. MK Dons set up a meeting with Chelsea after dispatching Northampton Town 3-0.

Carlisle United will face Everton in the next round after edging out Yeovil Town on penalties.

Reading came from behind to thrash 10-man Huddersfield Town 5-2 thanks to a Matej Vydra hat-trick. West Bromwich Albion beat Bristol City 1-0, while Portsmouth beat Ipswich Town 2-1 to set up a south-coast derby with Bournemouth.

Here are all the results from Tuesday's action and a closer look at how each of the ties played out.

Tuesday's FA Cup 3rd-Round Replay Results
Aston Villa2-0Wycombe Wanderers
Bradford City0-0* (2-4)Bury
Bristol City0-1West Bromwich Albion
MK Dons3-0Northampton Town
Portsmouth2-1Ipswich Town
Yeovil Town1-1* (4-5)Carlisle United
Bolton Wanderers3-2Eastleigh
Reading5-2Huddersfield Town
Source: BBC Sport

*Indicates the matches went to penalties.

Video Play Button
Videos you might like

Tuesday Recap

Joe Partington opened the scoring early on for Eastleigh as he cut inside from the right flank, evaded two defenders and swept the ball into the bottom corner. The Times' James Ducker argued on Twitter it was a "disgrace" the match wasn't televised, something Valley News' Will Bradley reiterated:

As OptaJoe noted, things looked good for the Spitfires:

Bolton quickly turned the game on its head as Gary Madine controlled a cross and fired home in the 39th minute before Dean Moxey took advantage of a poor clearance with a lovely strike. Eastleigh were level before half-time, though, as Kaid Mohamed raced clear and finished neatly, per BT Sport Football:

Wanderers skipper Darren Pratley restored the hosts' advantage after a neat one-two with substitute Shola Ameobi:

The Press Association's Simon Peach hailed Ameobi's impact on his last match for Bolton:

With his help, Bolton held on for a win but were pushed hard by their non-league opponents.

Unsurprisingly, Aston Villa failed to inspire as they needed two late goals to overcome Wycombe. Manager Remi Garde's side did not find the net until the 75th minute, when Ciaran Clark thumped in a header:

Idrissa Gueye lashed home Villa's second from Rudy Gestede's pull-back.

Two goals in quick succession—a Gary Roberts penalty after Marc McNulty was brought down and then a header from McNulty five minutes later—gave Pompey a healthy half-time lead over Ipswich. Ainsley Maitland-Niles' effort from 18-yards halved the deficit:

Piotr Malarczyk's late red card hindered the Tractor Boys' hopes of a comeback, though.

Salomon Rondon broke the deadlock at Ashton Gate, expertly chesting down Craig Dawson's cross before tapping in and putting West Brom ahead:

His goal proved decisive, and the Baggies will take on Peterborough United in the next round.

Despite the clash being one of the 8 p.m. kick-offs, the first goal of the night came in Reading's match with Huddersfield as Jamie Paterson scored against the Royals for the third time this season after just eight minutes.

Tommy Smith soon doubled their lead. But Jonathan Hogg saw red for a poor foul on Vydra, and just two minutes later, Reading pulled back a goal through Lucas Piazon's free-kick.

A quick-fire Vydra double in the 57th and 61st minutes sent the Royals ahead, and he completed his hat-trick in the 90th minute before Alex Fernandez finished the rout in injury time.

Yeovil's clash with Carlisle proved to be a dramatic and hot-tempered affair. Jack Compton's exceptional strike from the edge of the area shortly after the half-hour mark gave the hosts the lead, per BT Sport Football:

They were lucky to keep 11 men on the field, though:

Antony Sweeney equalised before Yeovil's Francois Zoko missed a golden opportunity to grab a late winner as he ballooned a penalty over the bar in the 92nd minute. Alex Lacey and Luke Joyce were each dismissed in extra time as the tension finally boiled over, and the game was sent to penalties.

Matthew Dolan was the only player who failed to convert his spot-kick, granting Carlisle United a 5-4 win.

Bury's Nathan Cameron earned two yellow cards in three first-half minutes—the latter for a deliberate handball—to ensure his side had to play the entire second half with 10 men, but they held on for extra time and then penalties.

The Bantams' Steve Davies and Devante Cole both saw their efforts saved as Bury ran out 4-2 winners in the shootout.

A powerful penalty from Ben Reeves put MK Dons ahead of Northampton shortly after half-time. Josh Murphy scored on the hour mark before a penalty from Simon Church in the final minute made sure of the result.