
Nick Saban Says Single CFB Transfer Portal 'Probably a Good Thing' After Rule Change
Former Alabama head coach Nick Saban gave his thoughts on the recent decision to implement a single transfer portal window in college football.
"I think one transfer portal is probably a good thing," Saban said during a Friday appearance on the Pat McAfee Show (3:40 mark). "I think when you have your team in the spring, you go through spring practice, you go through the offseason program and then all of a sudden guys leave. It's not great for them in terms of the next place they go and it's not great for you trying to manage a roster."
On Wednesday, the NCAA Division I Administrative Committee voted to eliminate the spring transfer window for FBS athletes in favor of a single window in January at the end of the fall semester.
The exact dates for a new window are unknown, although the Division I Football Subdivision Oversight Committee previously proposed a modified window that would run from Jan. 2 through Jan. 11.
Before the spring window was removed, student-athletes were required to submit notification of their intention to transfer during a 10-day period in April or a 20-day period in December.
Saban's perspective is understandable, as the spring window made it difficult for coaches to manage their rosters later in the offseason with players announcing their decision to enter the portal.
.jpg)








