World Football
HomeScoresTransfer RumorsUSWNTUSMNTPremier LeagueChampions LeagueLa LigaSerie ABundesligaMLSFIFA Club World Cup
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
AP Images

Neymar Banned 4 Matches for Headbutt: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

Joseph ZuckerJun 19, 2015

Neymar's 2015 Copa America is officially over after the Disciplinary Tribunal of CONMEBOL handed him a four-match ban following his red card against Colombia on June 17, as reported by football writer Jonathan Wilson.

Continue for updates.


TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Neymar Denies Reports of Tunnel Bust-up with Referee

Tuesday, June 23

"Nothing happened in the tunnel, basically," said Neymar, per Jornal Nacional (h/t SW Lim of Goal.com). "I was inside it, and waiting to ask the ref why he dismissed me. Then a huddle took place and security guards came in, thinking I was nervous, that I wanted to attack him. That's how it came to this."

Alex Richards of the Daily Mirror previously reported the Brazil icon had abused the Chilean official after the game.

Neymar was sent off after the full-time whistle for violent conduct, and the Barcelona man apologised to his team-mates, who he will now leave to focus on the tournament.

"I needed to express my feelings to this group and to the coaches that have always supported me," Neymar wrote on his Instagram page on June 22, per Sport. "I ask for forgiveness from them for getting into this situation, but I am sure it's something I will learn from."

As reported by SW Lim of Goal, a Brazil statement confirmed acceptance of the four-game ban: 

"

After a meeting that took place this Sunday night between Neymar and Brazil's coaching staff, it was decided that CBF will accept Conmebol's decision that suspended the player for four matches and therefore ended his Copa America campaign.

[...]

Neymar will leave the Brazilian delegation that is concentrated at the Sheraton Hotel in Santiago this Monday.

"

Neymar Banned After Red Card

Friday, June 19

Neymar received the red card after the final whistle of the ill-tempered group-stage match. He headbutted Jeison Murillo, with Carlos Bacca shoving the 23-year-old in retaliation and receiving a red card himself. Paddy Power provided footage of the incident:

Copa America relayed a statement from CONMEBOL:

"

To the Brazil national team player Neymar da Silva, a suspension of four games (including the one-game automatic suspension already imposed) and a fine of US $10,000 as consequence of his sending off and related incidents at the end of the match against the Colombia national team on June 17.

"

Rupert Fryer of BrasilGlobalTour.com noted if Brazil are eliminated prior to Neymar's ban being carried out, his suspension will roll over into next year's Copa America, rather than World Cup qualifiers.

South American journalist Paulo Freitas provided an explanation for why the ban increased to four matches:

You can't understate just how much Neymar's absence could affect Brazil. The squad was a shadow of its former self following his injury at the 2014 World Cup, and the country remains as reliant as ever on his individual brilliance.

OptaJavier broke down the numbers behind Brazil's two World Cup defeats with Neymar sidelined:

With all of that said, the best way for Brazil to lessen its dependence on Neymar in important matches is to play without him. Perhaps his suspension will galvanize the team and force manager Dunga to slightly alter his tactics. Goals from Thiago Silva and Roberto Firmino saw the side overcome Venezuela in their final group-stage game, but bigger tests await.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R