
Alberto Lopo Investigated by LFP for Barcelona vs. Deportivo Match-Fixing Quip
Deportivo La Coruna centre-back Alberto Lopo is being investigated by the LFP after making a comment that hints at match-fixing during the side's 2-2 draw with Barcelona in La Liga on May 23.
LFP president Javier Tebas has confirmed the fixture itself is not under examination but that Lopo's quip is being looked at, reported by Juan Jimenez of AS.
Jimenez provided the quote that is being attributed to Lopo:
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
"I said to Xavi to let up a bit, that the draw was a good result for everybody. They are 100 per cent competitive. He didn't tell me they were going to gift us the game or anything. The truth is that Barcelona were below their usual standard and that benefited us.
"

Deportivo escaped relegation with the draw and halted Barca's six-game winning run in the Spanish top flight, recorded by WhoScored.com. Tebas spoke to Cadena Copa (h/t Football Espana) about Lopo's comments:
"We're investigating if what was said is subject to sanction. That's a phrase that can’t even be said in jest. One team might try and the other team does nothing. You cannot urge the other team to not make the effort in a sport."
Blaugrana boss Luis Enrique made a number of changes ahead of the Copa del Rey and Champions League finals, with players such as Xavi, Sergi Roberto and Pedro coming into the team. Thomas Vermaelen made his first start for the club, with Marc Bartra and Adriano also playing in front of third-choice goalkeeper Jordi Masip.

A brace from Lionel Messi thrust Barca into a 2-0 lead, but goals from Lucas Perez and Diogo Salomao rescued what turned out to be a season-defining point for Deportivo. Lopo played the full 90 minutes and was an ever present throughout the campaign, racking up 30 appearances.
Deportivo put together a four-game unbeaten run toward the end of the season, concluding with the Camp Nou draw. The Galician side benefitted from the fact Barca had already tied up the domestic crown and the Blaugrana's focus shifting toward two cup competitions they would also go on to win.
An ongoing court case into the 2011 clash between Levante and Real Zaragoza, which saw the latter win and avoid relegation, continues. Forty-two individuals have been charged, reported by AS (h/t Dermot Corrigan of ESPN FC).

Jimenez's report also suggests the LFP is looking into the Segunda match between Real Betis in first and Sporting Gijon in second, which saw the latter side win 3-0 on the final day of the season. This allowed Sporting to avoid a promotion play-off.
Girona finished below them in third and will also have their draw with Lugo investigated, although it's important to note neither match is "considered suspicious" at this point.
It's possible Lopo's assertion about the Barca draw was meant lightheartedly. However, it's irresponsible to make such comments at a time when officials the world over are working avidly to rid the game of match-fixing.






