No team has had more success recruiting standouts in the secondary than Alabama has in recent years.
Over the last two cycles, Nick Saban has signed a pair of 5-star corners.
Last week, the Tide offered two of the best lockdown corners in the 2016 class.
Saban and his staff already hold a pledge from 5-star corner Shyheim Carter, who rates as the No. 3 corner in the 2016 class.
Smith, who is rated as the nation’s best player at the position, already holds more than 20 offers after a junior season in which he burst onto the recruiting scene at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.
Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU and UCLA are among his early group of suitors.
Taylor, who has Florida State, Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia among the programs drawing his interest, was among the standouts at the Elite 50 Underclassmen camp held last month during the week of the Under Armour All-American Game, according to 247Sports.
While the Tide has been piling up top-rated corners, Saban’s reputation for developing defensive backs is sure to catch the attention of Smith and Taylor.
Regardless, with Carter already in the fold, it will be interesting to see how heavily Alabama pursues Smith and Taylor and how receptive the nation’s top corner duo is to the Tide.
Alabama and LSU Offer Elite 2016 QB
Fellow SEC West power LSU also offered the 6’2”, 185-pounder, who rates as the fifth-best pro-style passer in the 2016 cycle.
Among the other schools pursuing Haskins include Maryland, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Ole Miss and Penn State among others.
Can the SEC powers get in the race for the elite passer from Maryland?
The next few months shall provide answers on their interest and his.
FSU After Talented OLs in 2016
Few schools have recruited the offensive line as well as Florida State has in recent years.
The Noles are searching for a few quality big bodies in the 2016 class to utilize in the trenches.
Both players represent two of the top tackle prospects in the 2016 class, and both are sure to be pursued vigorously by Jimbo Fisher and his staff.
Baylor Offers 2017 In-State QB
Art Briles landed perhaps Baylor’s quarterback of the future in Jarrett Stidham in the 2015 class.
The 6’3”, 195-pounder rates as the nation’s top dual-threat passer in the 2017 class.
Robinson—who has offers from schools such as Arizona State, Ole Miss, TCU and Texas among others—threw for 2,799 yards and 33 touchdowns while running for another 1,416 yards and 17 scores as a sophomore.
Baylor is hoping to keep the Lone Star State standout close to him when he eventually makes his decision.
Best of the Rest
- The Wolverines also offered a pair of 2016 prospects from Alabama in 4-star corner John Broussard and running back Kingston Davis.
- According to Jason Suchomel of Rivals.com, Alabama offered 2016 3-star linebacker Jeffrey McCulloch.
- Ole Miss offered 2016 offensive lineman Jack DeFoor. 2016 4-star offensive lineman JP Urquidez also picked up an offer from Ole Miss. The Rebels also offered 2016 3-star running back Tony Jones Jr.
- 2016 3-star running back Trayveon Williams picked up an offer from Missouri. The Tigers also offered 4-star offensive lineman Frank Martin.
- Woody Wommack of Rivals.com reports that Florida and Pittsburgh offered 2016 tight end Christian Roberson.
- Scout.com’s Greg Biggins reports that Oregon and Vanderbilt have offered 2016 3-star linebacker Curtis Robinson.
- According to Jake Rowe of Dawgs247, Georgia was the first school to offer 2017 wide receiver Braylon Sanders.
- Georgia and Miami offered 2017 defensive end Nathan Proctor, per Friedman.
Sanjay Kirpalani is a National Recruiting Analyst for Bleacher Report. Unless otherwise noted, all recruiting information courtesy of 247Sports.