World Football
HomeScoresTransfer RumorsUSWNTUSMNTPremier LeagueChampions LeagueLa LigaSerie ABundesligaMLSFIFA Club World Cup
Featured Video
They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️
OLDHAM, ENGLAND - JANUARY 05:  General view at Oldham Athletic's Boundary Park ground on January 5, 2015 in Oldham, England.  (Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images)
OLDHAM, ENGLAND - JANUARY 05: General view at Oldham Athletic's Boundary Park ground on January 5, 2015 in Oldham, England. (Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images)Jan Kruger/Getty Images

Ched Evans to Oldham: Latest Details and Reaction on Convicted Rapist's Future

Nick AkermanJan 7, 2015

Ched Evans remains on the hunt for a new employer following his release from prison, having served a sentence for a rape conviction. Oldham are the latest club to reject his services.

Continue for updates.


TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

PFA Chief Sorry for Hillsborough Comparison

Friday, Jan. 9

PFA Chief Gordon Taylor drew unwanted attention to the already-delicate plight of Ched Evans, comparing the striker with the innocent families of the Hillsborough disaster. Taylor said to BBC Radio 5 Live, per Ed Malyon of the Daily Mirror:

"

He wouldn’t be the first person or persons to be found guilty and maintain their innocence and then been proven right.

If we’re talking about things in football we know what happened, what was alleged to have happened at Hillsborough and it’s now unravelling and we’re finding it was very different to how it was portrayed at the time, indeed by the police at the time.

"

Taylor offered a full apology on Friday morning, as tweeted by TalkSPORT's Alan Brazil:


Oldham Deal Off, Evans Apologises

Thursday, Jan. 8

Sky Sports reported on Thursday that Evans will not be joining Oldham despite claims of an agreement earlier in the week:

Dan Roan of BBC Sport provided more detail, while colleague Ben Smith noted a report in the Oldham Chronicle which claimed the situation has taken its toll on the club's chairman:

Smith later clarified:

Evans later released a statement via the PFA:

"

I am grateful for the support of the PFA in helping me try to return to football and continue my career.

Upon legal advice, I was told not to discuss the events in question. This silence has been misinterpreted as arrogance and I would like to state that this could not be further from the truth.

I do remain limited at present by what I can say due to the ongoing referral to the Criminal Cases Review Commission and whilst I continue to maintain my innocence, I wish to make it clear that I wholeheartedly apologise for the effects that night in Rhyl has had on many people, not least the woman concerned.

Finally, it has been claimed that those using social media in an abusive and vindictive way towards this woman are supporters of mine. I wish to make it clear that these people are not my supporters and I condemn their actions entirely and will continue to do so.

"

Oldham and Evans Agreement Reported

Wednesday, Jan. 7

Oldham Athletic reportedly agreed personal terms ahead of signing convicted rapist Ched Evans. Sky Sports News revealed the Latics' decision to move forward with the controversial transfer:

Evans was released from prison in October. He served half of a five-year sentence after being found guilty of raping a 19-year-old woman in May 2011, reported by Prof. Jack Anderson of BBC News.

Although Sheffield United, his old club, looked set to offer him a route back into football, the Blades eventually decided against bringing Evans back to Bramall Lane.

SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND - MARCH 28:  Sheffield United player Ched Evans in action during the npower League One game between Sheffield United and Chesterfield at Bramall Lane on March 28, 2012 in Sheffield, England.  (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Sponsors looked to boycott the club, while Olympic gold-medalist Jessica Ennis-Hill also threatened to have her name removed from the stand the club titled in her honour. Significantly, over 100,000 signatures inked a petition to stop Evans from signing for his former team.

Oldham face similar problems. Two sponsors have confirmed they will end their association with the club if Evans is signed, per Sky News, while secondary shirt sponsors Carter Moore Solutions have pledged their support no matter what, reported by Pete Bainbridge of the Manchester Evening News.

Martyn Ziegler of the Press Association noted that in the wake of the reported signing, one sponsor has already ended their relationship with Oldham:

Evans' signing is unlikely to yield many positive headlines for Oldham and appears a risky move, no matter his impact on the pitch.

They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R