5 Bold Predictions 1 Month Away from National Signing Day

Sanjay Kirpalani@@SanjayKirpalaniNational Recruiting AnalystJanuary 6, 2015

5 Bold Predictions 1 Month Away from National Signing Day

0 of 5

    One of the most intriguing storylines heading down the stretch toward national signing day is how Jim Harbaugh and Michigan will close out its class.
    One of the most intriguing storylines heading down the stretch toward national signing day is how Jim Harbaugh and Michigan will close out its class.Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

    With less than one month remaining until national signing day, the winners and losers of the 2015 class will be shaped by what happens during the next few weeks.

    The coaching carousel has mostly ran its course, with schools such as Florida and Michigan hoping to salvage classes that currently rank as the worst groups in their respective leagues.

    There are still a handful of top prospects who have yet to make a commitment, and there are others who are still looking around despite early pledges.

    What surprises are in store for the closing moments of the 2015 class?

Texas A&M Will Have a Better Class Than Texas

1 of 5

    Mark Humphrey/Associated Press

    No school in the country can match the recent surge on the recruiting trail that Texas has enjoyed.

    Charlie Strong and his staff have received five commitments from prospects rated 4-stars or better since Dec. 19—headlined by the top prospect in the state of Texas in 5-star linebacker Malik Jefferson.

    On the flipside, in-state rival Texas A&M has lost a ton of momentum after possessing a Top 5 class for a majority of the cycle. Now, the Aggies sit just one spot in front of the Longhorns with the nation’s No. 8 class.

    However, with the arrival of new defensive coordinator John Chavis, the Aggies should be able to shake off their recent woes enough to have a class that rates ahead of their hated rivals on national signing day.

Michigan’s Class Will Finish in the Top 30

2 of 5

    No class has gone through as much turmoil as Michigan’s—which has featured a number of high-profile decommitments in the wake of Brady Hoke’s dismissal.

    However, with the arrival of Jim Harbaugh, the previous doom and gloom in Ann Arbor has given way to hope, excitement and a feeling that Michigan will finish the 2015 cycle strong.

    The Wolverines only have six commitments and a class currently ranked No. 90 in the country.

    With former commitments such as 4-star running back Michael Weber—who has since flipped to Ohio State—and 4-star tight end Chris Clark among the players Harbaugh is aggressively targeting, expect the Wolverines to land enough big fish to finish among the nation’s Top 30 classes.

USC Will Win National Signing Day Again

3 of 5

    No team finished the 2014 cycle stronger than Steve Sarkisian and the USC Trojans.

    Their push toward another big finish has already begun—with recent pledges from 4-star safety Marvell Tell, 4-star running back Ronald Jones II and 4-star corner Ykili Ross.

    With top-flight targets such as 5-star corner Iman Marshall, 5-star defensive tackle Rasheem Green, 4-star linebacker John Houston and 4-star linebacker Porter Gustin still on the board, the Trojans are setting themselves up to make a push toward the nation’s top class.

    Expect national signing day to once again be a day when USC steals the headlines.

Florida Will Have a Top 25 Class

4 of 5

    Similar to Michigan, the Florida Gators are going through a transition period since the arrival of new head coach Jim McElwain.

    Since McElwain has taken over, the Gators have only received one commitment—from 3-star tight end Daniel Imatorbhebhe. However, they have several top targets who have a great shot of landing in Gainseville.

    From 5-star defensive ends Byron Cowart and CeCe Jefferson to 4-star receiver Ryan Davis, the Gators have a chance to close with a flurry of talent over the final days.

    When all is said and done, expect McElwain and his staff to land a Top 25 class.

Martez Ivey Will Sign with Auburn

5 of 5

    Another recruit McElwain and his staff will focus heavily on is 5-star offensive lineman Martez Ivey—who is the nation’s top overall recruit in the 2015 class.

    The Gators are the prohibitive favorite for Ivey—with 80 percent of the predictions on Ivey’s Crystal Ball page favoring Florida. The other 20 percent have Ivey heading to Auburn, where prep teammate and good friend Chandler Cox has already committed.

    Add in the fact that former Florida head coach Will Muschamp landed at Auburn as defensive coordinator, and that should give the Tigers a great chance to land the premier talent from the Sunshine State.

    Sanjay Kirpalani is a National Recruiting Analyst for Bleacher Report. Unless otherwise noted, all recruiting information courtesy of 247Sports.