According to Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports, the league rejected an attempt by Peterson and the NFL Players Association to gain activation from the commissioner's exempt list following the resolution of child abuse charges filed against him.
The league also refused to take part in any discussions of a settlement regarding Peterson's playing status, per Garafolo.
According to the report, the league told Peterson's representatives that a decision would "be forthcoming" and that the running back would be notified when a decision had been made.
After the result, Peterson took to Twitter:
Per the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, AP avoided jail time by pleading no contest to the charges Tuesday:
Following the plea, attorney Rusty Hardin made it clear his client was ready and willing to continue his NFL career, according to Brian Murphy of the Pioneer Press:
He wants to resume a normal relationship with his son and to play football. ... This has been tremendously harmful to him. He's accepted responsibility that he made a mistake, and the NFL ought to honor the judgment the prosecutor made that this was an appropriate outcome.
The 29-year-old star has missed eight games since playing in Minnesota's season-opening win. A formal suspension is possible, though the NFL could just as easily count his missed contests as time served.
With that said, it is abundantly clear Peterson won't be able to waltz right back onto the field despite the backing of the NFLPA.
The Vikes have a Week 10 bye before returning to action in Week 11. That gives the NFL some time to make a decision, but Peterson and Vikings fans are undoubtedly anxious to see how this situation is handled.
Follow @MikeChiari on Twitter