World Football
HomeScoresTransfer RumorsUSWNTUSMNTPremier LeagueChampions LeagueLa LigaSerie ABundesligaMLSFIFA Club World Cup
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
Richard Heathcote/Getty Images

Paper News & Gossip: Jose Mourinho on Lukaku, Gerrard Reveals Sir Alex Bid

Ian RodgersNov 30, 2013

to come clean on the reason he is not at Stamford Bridge this season.

The Blues have also been linked with a major name in La Liga, while the futures of three current Chelsea players are open to debate, according to reports.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed the extent of the interest shown in him by former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

But who else is making the headlines on Saturday? Read on to find out more.

Jose Mourinho Urges Romelu Lukaku to Reveal Reason Behind Everton Loan Move

1 of 5

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has called on striker Romelu Lukaku to give the reason for his departure from Stamford Bridge for Everton this summer, reports Martin Lipton of the Daily Mirror.

The Belgium international has been a hit with the Merseyside club since joining on a season-long loan during the summer transfer window.

But Mourinho has become frustrated at the questions being aimed at him over letting the forward leave, claims Lipton, and has now urged the player to reveal why is not at Chelsea this season:

"

Romelu likes to speak. He's a young boy who likes to speak.

But the only thing he didn't say is why he went to Everton on loan. That's the only thing he never says.

And my last contact with him was to tell him exactly that. I said 'Why do you never say why you are not here?'

So it's something he should talk about because he likes to speak. It's something he should say, the reason why he's not with Chelsea and is in Everton.

"

Meanwhile, Mourinho and Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini have been linked with a move for Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos, reports John Cross of the Daily Mirror.

But the futures of Kevin De Bruyne and David Luiz at the club look uncertain, with the Belgian winger set to join Atletico Madrid on loan, according to Nick Lustig of the Daily Star, while the Brazil defender will be allowed to join Barcelona, says Lustig in another Daily Star report.

Chelsea striker Demba Ba could be on his way across London to West Ham United, reports Andrew Dillon of The Sun (subscription required).

Sir Alex Ferguson Offered Me 'Seven-Year Deal' Says Steven Gerrard

2 of 5

The fallout from Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography can still be felt with Liverpool captain Gerrard claiming the former Old Trafford boss was keen to sign him not once but twice, reports David Maddock of the Daily Mirror.

Ferguson had claimed Gerrard was "not a top, top player" in his book last month, as John Cross of the Daily Mirror noted at the time, but the England international has revealed that did not seem to be his opinion when he tried to sign the midfielder when he was young:

"

I had a letter off them, wanting to sign me on a seven-year deal when I was 13 years of age.

Then he tried to sign me again in early 2002/2003. I obviously refused, so I can’t really take it to heart too much.

I was genuinely a little bit gutted when I read his comments, when he said I wasn’t a top, top player. But I won’t lose sleep over it – everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I’m a huge fan of Alex Ferguson and what he’s done in the game is fantastic, that’s the reason why he sold that many copies in the first week.

"

Meanwhile, current United manager David Moyes has been dealt a blow in his hopes of signing defender Ezequiel Garay after he claimed he was happy at Benfica, reports David Wright of the Daily Express.

Sam Wallace of The Independent has produced a fascinating look at the United players of 1992 who did not follow former team-mates David Beckham, Gary Neville and Paul Scholes to success.

Liverpool Facing Anxious Wait on Daniel Sturridge Injury News

3 of 5

Liverpool have been dealt a major blow to their Premier League hopes after Daniel Sturridge limped out of training on Friday, reports Jack Lang of the Daily Mirror among others.

The England international has been in fine form for the Reds so far this season and has formed a potent relationship with Luis Suarez at Anfield.

His equaliser in the 3-3 draw at Everton last weekend was his ninth goal in 12 Premier League games for Liverpool this season.

But the 24-year-old may be facing a spell on the sidelines ahead of the crucial Christmas period as the Merseyside club attempt to maintain their good start to the campaign.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Arsene Wenger at Ease on Contract Talks as Usmanov Backs Gunners Manager

4 of 5

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insists he is "relaxed" about negotiations over a new deal at the club, reports Jim van Wijk in The Independent.

The Gunners boss had been under pressure at the start of the Premier League season after failing to win a trophy at the club since 2005.

But Wenger and his team have found a new lease of life after the arrival of Mesut Ozil in the summer became the impetus for the team, who are top of the table.

Wenger's current deal expires at the end of the current campaign, but he is unconcerned about the negotiations:

"

I said many times, that people don't need to question my commitment to this club.

I can just reiterate what I said at the start of the season: I want to feel that I do well, and focus on that.

I am relaxed about the situation. What is important is that the players have the support, to focus on the target which is to do well in every single game.

"

And Arsenal's second-largest shareholder Alisher Usmanov has thrown his weight behind Wenger, as Jim van Wijk reported for the Daily Mail.

Meanwhile, Arsenal and Tottenham have been given additional hope of signing midfielder Alen Halilovic from Dinamo Zagreb by the player himself, reports David Wright of the Daily Express.

Bits and Pieces: David Beckham, Landon Donovan, Martin Jol, Joleon Lescott

5 of 5

Football icon David Beckham underwent an embarrassing initiation test during his early days at Manchester United, reports Greg Heffer of the Daily Star.

For reasons of taste, we will leave the details to the newspaper article, but we fear the image of former Old Trafford defender Clayton Blackmore may never leave us.

Everton are offering a third loan spell at the club to United States international Landon Donovan, claims David Maddock of the Daily Mirror.

The LA Galaxy star has enjoyed two successful short-term stints at Goodison Park under former boss David Moyes, but now Roberto Martinez wants to bring Donovan to the club again in January.

Martinez is also considering a move for former Celtic midfielder Aiden McGeady, who has been put up for sale by Spartak Moscow, reports Philip Quinn of the Daily Mail.

Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott has hinted at a move away from the Etihad Stadium to salvage his 2014 World Cup hopes with England, reports Jamie Jackson of The Guardian.

Fulham manager Martin Jol fears the sack if his team lose to West Ham on Saturday, reports Tony Little of The Sun (subscription required).

And striker Dimitar Berbatov has been linked with a move away from Craven Cottage to Trabzonspor in Turkey, claims Simon Jones of the Daily Mail.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R