NBA
HomeScoresRumorsHighlightsDraftB/R 99: Ranking Best NBA Players
Featured Video
They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

NBA Lottery Results 2012: Most Intriguing Storylines Following Selection Process

John RozumJun 5, 2018

Owners of two top-10 selections in the 2012 NBA draft, the New Orleans Hornets have an outside shot at the playoffs next season.

And with the draft order finally being set, the lottery certainly made for some intrigue, especially regarding the top part of the order.

To that end, let's check out the attractive aftermath of the NBA's lottery results.

TOP NEWS

With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

Lottery Rigged?

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, some NBA executives expressed their thoughts on the association's lottery:

"

"It's such a joke that the league made the new owners be at the lottery for the show," one high-ranking team executive told Yahoo! Sports. "The league still owns the Hornets. Ask their front office if new owners can make a trade right now. They can't. This is a joke."

"I bet I could get my owner to tank if I knew the chance of getting the No. 1 pick was 100 percent," an NBA team president said in an email.

"

Talk about some harsh feelings, but then again, with the Bobcats finishing 7-59, you would think they should just be given the No. 1 selection.

Compared to the other pro drafts like the NFL and MLB, the NBA's lottery is arguably the most suspicious. In pro football, for example, the league's worst team gets the No. 1 pick and everyone else follows suit. Obviously, previous trades will determine some selections, but it's a far better system regardless.

Bobcats fans have every right to be frustrated with the NBA's lotto. Perhaps these anonymous execs speaking out will be the catalyst that ultimately changes how the association drafts in the future.

Bobcats at No. 2

With Anthony Davis expected to now get selected by New Orleans, the Charlotte Bobcats have to adjust their draft strategy at the No. 2 position.

Still needing to address the small and power forward positions, the Bobcats can go a few directions. Kansas' Thomas Robinson, Kentucky's Michael Kid-Gilchrist and UConn's Andre Drummond are all viable options.

Robinson enters with the most college experience and will greatly improve the offense and overall rebounding. Gilchrist can score and pass effectively when needed, and his defense will be welcomed. Drummond provides dominant size, strength and total defense in the paint, which will significantly help Charlotte's defense and take pressure off the backcourt.

Regardless of what route the Bobcats take at No. 2, it's not the worst of situations. After Davis, there are other prospects with supreme talent and potential, now it's just a matter of whom Charlotte feels is the next best fit.

Nets' Immediate Future

Back in March, the Nets (according to Wojnarowski) traded away their first-round pick to Portland for Gerald Wallace. The hope was to get a top-three pick to remain in Round 1, but now that is obviously not the case.

So the Nets basically traded away a first-round selection for Wallace and now have limited ammo to build for 2012-13. In addition, Wojnarowski also reported earlier this week that Deron Williams isn't expected to sign an extension:

"

All-Star point guard Deron Williams has made one decision about his free agency: If the Brooklyn Nets win the No. 1 pick in the NBA's draft lottery on Wednesday night it won't be enough for Williams to sign a contract extension, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

"It's Dwight Howard or bust," said a league source who has spoken to Williams.

"

Well, in the aftermath of the 2012 NBA draft lottery, it's going to be a rough immediate future for the Nets. With other teams potentially on the rise such as Cleveland, Detroit and Washington, the Nets will be fortunate to not finish last in the Eastern Conference.

Hornets 2012-13 Potential

Taking a positive spin for the NBA's lotto, we see the New Orleans Hornets with two top-10 selections in the draft.

Anthony Davis is the obvious No. 1 pick and will certainly address their needs in the backcourt, especially on offense. That said, New Orleans can get a solid backcourt player such as Kendall Marshall, Terrence Ross or Jeremy Lamb at No. 10.

NOLA needs to get a promising future at the point, because for as much potential as Davis possesses, he won't be a factor unless someone can consistently feed the rock down low.

New Orleans has an impressive amount of potential right now, but it's selecting the right players to make that future a reality. Fortunately for the Hornets, the opportunity to control their destiny is coming soon.

John Rozum on Twitter.

They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

TOP NEWS

With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA
Houston Rockets v Los Angeles Lakers - Game Five
Milwaukee Bucks v Boston Celtics

TRENDING ON B/R