
NBA Exec Calls Out Mat Ishbia, Says Suns Need to Stop 'Chasing All-Stars' in Trades
An Eastern Conference executive believes the Phoenix Suns need to change course and stop "chasing All-Stars," adding that governor Mat Ishbia must "let the basketball people do their job."
"Phoenix needs to get away from chasing All-Stars," the exec told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne and Bobby Marks. "The current CBA is built on hitting singles, doubles, and Ishbia has to let the basketball people do their job."
Ishbia assumed a controlling interest in the Suns and Phoenix Mercury on Feb. 7, 2023.
Two days later, Phoenix executed a blockbuster trade for Brooklyn Nets forward Kevin Durant in exchange for Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and four unprotected future first-round picks.
Four months later, the Suns landed Beal in a three-team deal with the Washington Wizards and Indiana Pacers that saw Phoenix part ways with Chris Paul, Landry Shamet and six future second-round picks. They also agreed to four future first-round pick swaps.
The idea was to form a big three with Durant, Beal and Devin Booker, but it hasn't worked out just yet. Phoenix went 49-33 last year, earned the No. 6 seed and promptly got swept in the first round by the Minnesota Timberwolves.
This year has been worse, with the team sitting ninth in the standings at 24-22. Phoenix changed coaches over the season (Frank Vogel to Mike Budenholzer) and made a huge starting lineup change earlier this month, swapping out Beal and Jusuf Nurkić for Ryan Dunn and Mason Plumlee.
Now, with the Feb. 6 trade deadline looming, there are rampant rumors and speculation about Beal's future, although he does have a no-trade clause. There's also talk of interest between the Suns and Miami Heat star Jimmy Butler, although nothing has materialized thus far.
For now, the Suns remain hopeful for a playoff appearance as their tumultuous season continues, but it's certainly possible this team will look different in a week's time.


.png)






.jpg)
