WWE NXT 2.0 Results: Winners, Grades, Reaction and Highlights from July 19
WWE NXT 2.0 needs new challengers. Last week, Mandy Rose overcame Roxanne Perez thanks to the interference of Cora Jade.
NXT would crown a new No. 1 contender in a 20-woman Battle Royal including major names such as Alba Fyre, Nikkita Lyons, Tiffany Stratton, Wendy Choo, Ivy Nile and Elektra Lopez.
While Fallon Henley was planning to win the Battle Royal, Josh Briggs and Brooks Jensen needed to defend their NXT UK Tag Team Championships in a competitive battle with former champions Kit Wilson and Elton Prince, Pretty Deadly.
After losing his title and failing in his bid for the NXT Championship, Cameron Grimes would fight JD McDonagh, who wanted to jump the line to get a shot at Bron Breakker.
This was just the beginning of a night that continued NXT's march forward in a packed summer of important stories.
Cameron Grimes vs. JD McDonagh
After a hard-fought battle, JD McDonagh trapped the leg of Cameron Grimes in the ropes then hit him with a snap-back suplex for the win.
Unsurprisingly to those who know McDonagh, this was a really good opener. The two worked a fairly traditional face vs. heel dynamic as The Irish Ace targeted the leg of The Richest Man in NXT.
What made it work was the steady pace. Grimes got his chance to fire back and nearly build to a win before the cumulative damage of McDonagh's attack was too much. The right man won as he aims toward challenging Bron Breakker.
Grimes continues to fall into a slump, but his next story looks to be on the horizon, as Joe Gacy was shown watching closely during this match.
McDonagh def. Grimes by pinfall.
- Gacy showed up on the stage to watch Grimes. He shook his head after the loss.
- McDonagh smashed the knee of Grimes against the steel post.
Cora Jade Throws Her NXT Women's Tag Team Championship in the Trash
Cora Jade called herself the true breakout Superstar of NXT and hated the attention that was taken away from her and given to Roxanne Perez. She called her NXT Women's Tag Team Championship a reminder of a failure before throwing it in the trash.
Jade is not the best promo, but it is important to give her chances like this to test herself. Hopefully, the more chances she gets, the more she improves. This is her first chance as a heel, and it will take time for her to settle.
This served its purpose. Jade made it clear she turned on her friend out of jealousy and outright disrespected the title she and Perez won together.
Hopefully, when Perez returns, she can talk about what the tag titles mean to her. Otherwise, the image of the tag title in the trash remains an unfortunate chapter in the legacy of titles that have constantly struggled to shine.
- NXT started with a video package highlighting Jade's betrayal of Perez.
- The crowd was loud throughout this promo, making it hard for Jade to speak.
- Afterward, backstage, Xyon Quinn praised Jade then challenged Apollo Crews to a match next week.
Roderick Strong vs. Damon Kemp
Roderick Strong used his veteran instincts to dominate Damon Kemp. Tony D'Angelo appeared on the titantron to show his group beating down Diamond Mine. Strong laid out Kemp with a high knee to take the win first before heading to the back.
This was a fine short match that highlighted what Strong does well. He beat down and dissected his young opponents. The ending was well done, even if it would have been helped if Kemp got more offense beforehand.
The Messiah of the Backbreaker still cares more about winning than helping his stablemates. It seems more and more likely that even Kemp will turn on him. The D'Angelo Family vs. Diamond Mine will be another test of that dynamic.
Strong def. Kemp by pinfall.
- Kemp Speared Strong then went for a powerbomb, but Strong escaped and connected with a clothesline.
- Backstage after, Strong berated The Creed Brothers for getting jumped then told everyone they would finish this fight with The D'Angelo Family.
- In pre-taped promos, Nikkita Lyons, Tiffany Stratton and Indi Hartwell all talked about what it would mean to them to win the main event Battle Royal.
- Diamond Mine challenged The D'Angelo Family to an eight-man tag. Later, The Don accepted after talking up Elektra Lopez's chance in the main event.
NXT UK Tag Titles: Josh Briggs and Brooks Jensen (c) vs. Pretty Deadly
Elton Prince and Kit Wilson dominated Brooks Jensen in the early portions of this fight, but Josh Briggs turned it around. Fallon Henley stopped Pretty Deadly from using the NXT UK Tag Team Championships, setting up the champions to hit a High-Low for the win.
This was a fun title bout in which the difference in styles played into the story of the match. Pretty Deadly controlled the action while selling the explosive offense of the champions.
Given the messy finish, Pretty Deadly was somewhat protected, hopefully allowing for a rematch in the future. Prince and Wilson remain absolute MVPs of the NXT tag team divisions.
Briggs and Jensen def. Pretty Deadly to retain the NXT UK Tag Team Championships.
- Backstage before the match, Pretty Deadly made fun of the champions with cowboy hats on. Briggs and Jensen hyped themselves up with Henley.
- Wade Barrett had to explain to Vic Joseph why Briggs and Jensen are not ideal representatives of the United Kingdom while the crowd chanted "USA."
- Prince was thrown on to Henley outside, causing her to hurt her left arm.
- Joe Gacy completed the purification of The Dyad, showing their faces as he renamed James Drake to Jagger Reid and Zack Gibson to Rip Fowler.
JD McDonagh Threatens to Rip Off Bron Breakker's Shoulder
Bron Breakker stomped to the ring, demanding JD McDonagh come out to face him. The Irish Ace appeared on the titantron and promised to rip all eight muscles in his shoulder on his way to the NXT Championship.
The dynamic was made pretty clear between Breakker and McDonagh. The champion is a no-nonsense fighter while The Irish Ace is a ruthless plotter.
This was a promo segment where McDonagh talked circles around Breakker, and it made the champion look unintelligent. The NXT champion will need to prove he can be more than just the pure brute against McDonagh's technical offense.
- Breakker arrived in the parking lot, asking everyone where McDonagh was.
- Video was shown of Von Wagner beating down Solo Sikoa outside the Amway Arena.
Axiom vs. Dante Chen
Axiom sent Dante Chen stumbling around the ring. He finished him off with a jumping double spin kick.
The former A-Kid is much better than he looked in this match. He came off like a wrestler learning to be a luchador, doing his unique technical style no favors.
If this is his future, Axiom is going to struggle to stand out. He is not a traditional luchador in the ring, and WWE has let go of many who are better suited for the mask. Hopefully, his own style is not completely lost in this gimmick.
Axiom def. Chen by pinfall
- Axiom came out with a unique motion blur effect to his entrance.
- Giovanni Vinci tried to leave, but the Chase U bus got in his way.
- Wes Lee warned Grayson Waller and Trick Williams that he would beat them both. Carmelo Hayes and Trick talked about their futures in The Barbershop.
20-Woman No. 1 Contender Battle Royal
Zoey Stark was the surprise final entrant in the Battle Royal. Toxic Attraction watched from the Toxic Lounge. Tiffany Stratton shockingly eliminated Nikkita Lyons. Stark eliminated Stratton then ducked Cora Jade's sneak attack to take her out and win.
Every Battle Royal is a mess of a match in certain ways, and this was no different. There were too many women in this contest that lack the necessary experience. However, the match smartly built around the key rivalries in the division.
The closing stretch was surprisingly tight with multiple surprises. Lyons was the odds-on favorite, and Stratton eliminating her sets up an interesting rivalry. Stark taking it all was well deserved after a long recovery, and she is an ideal opponent to dethrone Mandy Rose.
Stark wins the 20 Woman Battle Royal, last eliminating Jade to become the No. 1 contender to the NXT Women's Championship.
- In pre-taped promos, Lyons, Stratton, Indi Hartwell and Lash Legend all talked about what it would mean to them to win the main event Battle Royal.
- Toxic Attraction said they wanted Tatum Paxley to win before Ivy Nile, Kiana James and Alba Fyre all called their own shot at Rose.
- Fyre and Legend eliminated each other early on, and the brawl continued outside.
- Choo used a pillow at ringside to save herself from an elimination. Stratton later blasted her with her own cup to eliminate her.
- Katana Chance and Kayden Carter worked together to eliminate multiple women, but Nile got them in position for Lyons to eliminate them both.