Manny Pacquiao: 50 Things You May or May Not Know About the Pacman
A lot has been written about Manny Pacquiao over the years. But there are still a few things you may not know. So here's a few things about Manny and a few about the Wild card for those who still can't get enough of the Pac-Man. In no particular order. Hopefully they will enlighten even the novice fans.
50. Manny's Biggest Upset Loss Did Not Come In The Ring
Manny lost his attempt at a congressional seat of his province of South Cotabato in the Philippine general election of May 2007. Incumbent congresswoman Darlene Antonino-Custodio won by a landslide with a final tally of 139,061 votes over Pacquiao's 75,908 votes. Antonino-Custodio's major argument against the Pacman was that he would quit boxing if elected to congress. More people wanted Manny to keep fighting.
49. Manny Loves Shakira
Manny used to train almost exclusively while listen to the Colombian superstar.
48. Manny Is Friends With The Black Eyed Peas
Manny has played with the Black Eyed Peas on their single Champion and played with them live.
47. Manny Lost His First Fight In 1996
First boxing defeat was a KO in the hand of Rustico Torrecampo early in his career (his 12th fight on February 9th 1996). He was wearing heavier gloves because he came in overweight.
46. Manny Founded His Own Political Party
Founder and president of the People's Champ Movement (PCM), a political party focused on government posts in General Santos City (South Cotabato province) and Saranggani province. His political party, the People's Champ Movement (PCM), was approved by the Philippines' commission on elections as a legitimate entry for the 2010 elections.
45. He Started His Own Foundation
He founded the Manny Pacquiao Foundation to help uplift the lives of Filipinos as well as people from other parts of the world who encounter problems like poverty and sickness. As such, he has invested in many projects such as a cancer research and treatment center in Mindanao. He has organized related activities such as medical missions, granting scholarships, and promoting environmental awareness.
And that's before he got really big!
43. Won The 2009 Star Award Newsmaker Of The Year
Don't tell me you didn't know that.
42. Has A Screenwriting Credit On IMDB
Manny wrote and produced Anak ng Kumander. A movie I have never seen and can not pronounce.
41. Has Ten Acting Credits On IMDB
Cousin Manny in Brown Soup Thang is one of his roles.
40. Has 10 CD's To His Credit
This song is actually pretty good.
39. Loves To Sing Karaoke In LA's Koreatown District
His Karaoke nights have been the bane of Freddie Roach's existence the last few years.
38. Sings Better Than Frank Stallone
Can you believe this was a hit? Seriously the 80's sucked in terms of mainstream music.
37. Manny Fights Better Than Frank Stallone
Frank did beat Geraldo Rivera in a fight once, however.
36. Loves Thai Food.
When in LA, Manny eats Thai food almost every day at a joint below the Wild Card.
35. Never Turn Off The Champs Music
There is an unwritten rule at all boxing gyms that the Champ owns the music. Once a hot shot Fox News producer turned off Manny's Shakira CD without asking and he almost got torn limb from limb. Fortunately it was Manny. Pacman called off the dogs and saved the producer's hide. Who knows what would have happened if it was James Toney's CD.
34. Is A Three Time Ring Magazine Fighter Of The Year.
Three times, baby.
33. Manny's Trainer Freddie Roach Is The 2nd Most Popular Man In The Philippines
They call him Coach Freddie.
32. Robert Duvall Came By The Wild Card To Meet Manny and Freddie
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
31. Arnold, Sly and Mark Wahlberg All Came By To Meet Manny, Too
They're all fans.
30. Filipino Town Is a Neighborhood In LA, and Manny Has Lots Of Friends There
This isn't one of them. But she IS from LA.
29. Manny's Wife Is Named Jinkee.
You probably knew that one.
28. He and Jinkee Have Four Kids.
And Jinkee still looks great.
27. His Real Name Is Emmanuel.
26. His Middle Name Is Dapidran.
Don't know what it means.
25. You Can Call Him Dr. Pacquiao
Pacquiao was conferred the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Humanities (Honoris Causa) by Southwestern University.
24. He's Defeated Fighters From 16 Countries
That's a lot.
23. He's Defeated 8 Mexican Fighters
That's why they call him the Mexicutioner.
22. He's Got a Basketball Jones
Freddie Roach has to cut him off before big fights.
21. He's a Better Ballplayer Than Barack
You be the judge.
20. He Isn't Always In Tune.
Okay, so I said I like one of his songs. But this Kimmel performance is Ashley Simpson quality. You were a little pitchy there, dog.
19. No Filipino Will Ever Tell Him He's Tone Deaf.
Quien es ma out of tune. Not sure Manny knows he's being clowned here.
18. Has A Presidential Medal Of Merit
On November 24, 2003, the then Philippine President Gloria macipagal-Arroyo conferrd it on Manny back in 2003.
17. Manny Agreed To a Rematch With Juan-Manuel Marquez After Their First Fight
This one is for the on-line haters. Marquez refused to fight a rematch with Manny at the time.
16. JMM Stupidly Fought Chris John and Lost Instead
One of the all time bonehead moves. Manny haters don't like to admit this fact when they rail about the Marquez fights.
15. Manny Should Have Won The First Marquez Fight
Judge John Stewart called the bout 115-110 for Pacquiao. Guy Jutras had it 115-110 for Marquez. Burt Clements scored the fight 113-113, making it a draw, but Pacquiao would have won had he scored the first round 10-6. He later admitted he should have called it a 10-6 round but was confused about the scoring rules.
14. Manny Used To Take Questions Through an Interpreter After He Knew English
Manny is a smart guy. He would listen to the question and then think while it was being interpreted. gave him more time to answer.
13. Manny Has Never Ducked Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
Again for the haters. Manny and team Pacquiao have wanted Money May for a long time. They won't give away the fight, but last summer they did give into almost every demand that Floyd's people made.
12. Manny Gives Money To The Poor Every Day When He's Home
Manny, who grew up poor, gives money to people every day in the Philippines.
11. Manny Gives Out Loans To The Filipino Community In LA As Well.
He's really that guy.
10. Manny's Handlers Almost Blew The De La Hoya Fight.
Top Rank wanted to demand a bigger cut than Oscar was willing to offer. Then it was pointed out that Floyd Mayweather accepted the same deal and made a boatload of money and cooler heads prevailed.
9. Manny Had a Horrible Diet Before He Started Traing at The Wild Card
Much has been made of Manny's added strength as he has climbed the ranks. If you saw what Manny ate when he showed up at the Wild Card you would understand. Freddie Roach was appalled at the junk food Manny was living off of and immediately got Manny on a new diet.
8. Dionisia Pacquiao Is Manny's Mom
If you've ever seen pictures of Dionisia you might think she's Manny's older sister. But the youthful appearing 60 year old is really Manny's Mom.
7. Freddie Roach Knew Manny Was Special Almost Immediately
Freddie Roach was impressed with Manny's power and speed from the moment he worked the mitts with Pacman that first time. The fact that he took the Ledwaba fight at the last minute shows Roach's confidence in his fighter right out of the gate.
6. Manny Has Fought Two Fighters Known As 3K Battery
Fashan and Chkkchai Chockvivat.
5. Pacquiao and Roach Are So In Sync They Usually Know What Round They Will Win
Ask Roach privately what he thinks and he'll know. He knew the first Morales and Marquez fights would be tough back in the day. Now they can almost call rounds.
4. Manny Takes Politics Seriously
In preparation for his career as a lawmaker in the House of Representatives, Pacquiao enrolled in the Certificate Course in Development, Legislation, and Governance at the Development Academy of the Philippines – Graduate School of Public and Development Management.
3. Manny Really Is a Nice Guy
Maybe it is his upbringing. Maybe it is his time with Freddie. But believe me he still treats people with kindness and humility. It is amazing to see and refreshing as well.
2. It Is Hard To Write 50 Things About Manny That People May Not Know
So much has been written about the man. And he's so focused.
1. He Wants Floyd Mayweather Bad
There are people who say this fight won't be made. But Manny will do whatever it takes to make it happen at this point. It is the only thing left for Pacquiao because he has nothing left to prove. He knows it will be a difficult fight. He knows that he could lose. But the best always want to fight the best.