Pro Football Hall of Famer Cris Carter criticized LaVar Ball on Tuesday for his decision to pull his son, LiAngelo Ball, out of UCLA.
As seen in the following video courtesy of FS1's First Things First, Carter called the move "criminal" and expressed his belief that LaVar was robbing LiAngelo of an education:
The Ball family patriarch said Monday that he plans to prepare LiAngelo for the NBA draft rather than having him serve the indefinite suspension levied against him for shoplifting during a team trip to China, according to ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman.
Ball and UCLA teammates Cody Riley and Jalen Hill were questioned and detained in China before being allowed to return to the United States due, in part, to intervention from President Donald Trump.
LaVar said Monday that they were "exploring other options" outside of UCLA, but also said he won't be transferring to another school.
Regarding the decision, the elder Ball said, "I'm not sitting back and waiting. He wasn't punished this bad in China. We get back over here, and the consequences were even stiffer than China. So basically they're in jail here."
Ball previously announced in October that he was pulling his youngest son, LaMelo Ball, from Chino Hills High School to home-school and train him ahead of attending UCLA in 2019.
While Ball is focusing on the 2018 NBA draft with LiAngelo, an NBA general manager told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, "He's not on any of our scouting lists—even the extended lists."
LiAngelo's older brother, Lonzo Ball, was selected by the Los Angeles Lakers with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft.
Per 247Sports, LiAngelo entered UCLA as a 3-star recruit ranked as the No. 226 overall player and No. 50 shooting guard in his class.