
Jeremy Maclin, Ravens Agree on 2-Year Contract After Chiefs Release
The Baltimore Ravens and wide receiver Jeremy Maclin reached an agreement Monday on a two-year contract following his release by the Kansas City Chiefs.
The team announced the deal after Ian Rapoport of NFL Network first reported details of the free-agent signing. Josina Anderson of ESPN reported Maclin's choice came down to the Ravens or his former team, the Philadelphia Eagles.
Rapoport reported Tuesday Maclin's deal is worth $11 million.
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
Maclin's release by Kansas City came as a surprise given his strong track record, including a Pro Bowl selection in 2014 and the team's position as a hopeful contender in the AFC. ESPN's Adam Schefter noted it did save the organization $10 million under the salary cap, though.
The 29-year-old Missouri native signed with the Chiefs in 2015 after a successful six-year stint with the Eagles. He made an instant impact, catching 87 passes for 1,088 yards and eight touchdowns during his first season with the team.
His numbers dropped off last year, though.
Maclin made 44 grabs for 536 yards and two scores across 12 appearances. He missed four games because of a hamstring injury, and the Chiefs offense shifted more toward tight end Travis Kelce and dual-threat weapon Tyreek Hill.
Just over a week before his release, the University of Missouri product told Terez A. Paylor of the Kansas City Star the 2016 campaign fell short of his own expectations.
"It just wasn't up to my standards—it wasn't up to my standards," Maclin said. "I've never been a stat guy. I've never been a guy to say 'I want this, I want that.' I just … I didn't play as well as I could have. And by not playing well, I feel like I let my team down. And that's the most important part of it."
When asked about bouncing back during the upcoming season, he responded: "All I can do is show y'all. I understand there's a lot of people out there that think this and think that … but that's fine by me. I'm going to play football."
Ultimately, the Ravens are betting on his having a return to form to help bolster their receiving corps. The fact he's only one year removed from a 1,000-yard season makes that a better bet than if he'd gone through a steady decline.
He should see a pretty steady stream of targets on a roster without a true No. 1 wideout. Mike Wallace could fill that role, but he's always been more of a deep threat than a high-volume option. So it wouldn't be a surprise to see Maclin lead the group in receptions if he stays healthy.

.png)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)