
Chris Copeland Sues NYC Nightclub over Stabbing Incident: Details and Reaction
Former Indiana Pacers forward Chris Copeland is reportedly suing the 1 Oak nightclub in New York City.
According to TMZ, Copeland and his girlfriend were stabbed during an argument when they were at the club last year. Per TMZ, “Copeland says 1 Oak negligently allowed the stabber into the club with a ‘spring-operated switchblade knife’ and did nothing to prevent the stabbing,” hence the lawsuit.
ESPN.com reported in April 2015 that Copeland was released from a hospital two days after he was stabbed. ESPN’s Josina Anderson cited a source in the ESPN.com report who said Copeland suffered a fractured rib in addition to knife wounds to his elbow and abdomen. ESPN’s Chris Broussard also cited a source who said Copeland fractured his elbow.
Copeland wasn’t the only NBA player involved in the incident. Thabo Sefolosha and Pero Antic, who were both members of the Atlanta Hawks at the time (Sefolosha still is) were “charged for trying to prevent police from setting up a crime scene,” per ESPN.com.
Sefolosha suffered a broken fibula and torn ligaments in his ankle during an exchange with police officers in the aftermath of the Copeland stabbing and missed the remainder of the 2014-15 season and postseason. The Hawks eventually lost in the Eastern Conference Finals to the Cleveland Cavaliers with Sefolosha on the sideline.
On Wednesday, ESPN.com's Kevin Arnovitz reported Sefolosha is suing the New York City Police Department and the city because of the incident.
The Milwaukee Bucks released Copeland in February, per Chris Haynes of Cleveland.com. The forward appeared in 24 games for the Bucks this season and averaged 2.1 points, 0.5 assists and 0.4 rebounds per contest.
He scored a career-high 8.7 points per game as a rookie in 2012-13 with the New York Knicks.









