NFL
HomeScoresDraftRumorsFantasyB/R 99: Top QBs of All Time
Featured Video
Steelers got a LOT better this offseason
Houston Texans owner Bob McNair speaks at an NFL press conference  during an owners meeting, Wednesday, Dec. 10, 2014, in Irving, Texas. At left is NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. (AP Photo/Brandon Wade)
Houston Texans owner Bob McNair speaks at an NFL press conference during an owners meeting, Wednesday, Dec. 10, 2014, in Irving, Texas. At left is NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. (AP Photo/Brandon Wade)Brandon Wade/Associated Press

Bob McNair Says J.J. Watt Would Not Have Destroyed Phone in Deflategate Scandal

Mike ChiariSep 2, 2015

There has been no shortage of support for New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady throughout the Deflategate scandal, but Houston Texans owner Bob McNair seemingly isn't in that camp, as he questioned the four-time Super Bowl champion's actions.

Brady was suspended four games for his alleged involvement in the deflation of footballs prior to the AFC Championship Game against the Indianapolis Colts. The future Hall of Famer appealed, but the suspension was upheld by commissioner Roger Goodell, with Brady's decision to destroy his cellphone being cited as a contributing factor in a statement released by the NFL, according to NFL Network's Rand Getlin:

TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
Rams Seahawks Football
Mississippi Football
"

On or shortly before March 6, the day that Tom Brady met with independent investigator Ted Wells and his colleagues, Brady directed that the cell phone he had used for the prior four months be destroyed. He did so even though he was aware that the investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on that phone. ‎During the four months that the cell phone was in use, Brady had exchanged nearly 10,000 text messages, none of which can now be retrieved from that device. The destruction of the cell phone was not disclosed until June 18, almost four months after the investigators had first sought electronic information from Brady.

"

In reference to Brady's decision, McNair claimed on Houston's Sports Radio 610 that Texans superstar defensive lineman J.J. Watt wouldn't have acted in a similar manner if he was the subject of an investigation, per ESPN.com's Tania Ganguli.

"What escalated the whole thing is that Brady and the Patriots were going to cooperate fully, and then when it came down to it, they didn't," McNair said. "If it was J.J. Watt, I think he would have been cooperative, and it wouldn't be a question. ... I don't think J.J. would destroy his cellphone."

McNair also added a suggestion for the manner in which he believes Brady and the Patriots organization should have handled the investigation from the start:

"

I think we could have handled it better, I think the Patriots could have handled it better, I think Brady could have handled it better. You know, when you look back on it, if Brady had just said, 'Look, my guys know I like a softer ball, and that's what I like, and so they do it. But I don't go out and check the pressure of the balls.' ... I don't think there would have been an issue. It would have been a problem with the guys on the training staff who deflated the balls, and the Patriots would have got some kind of minor penalty; it wouldn't have been a big deal.

"

Despite McNair's assertion, Stephanie Stradley of the Houston Chronicle is among those who believe the Pats and Brady were plenty accessible to the NFL throughout the process:

There are plenty of differing opinions regarding the Brady situation, although it is somewhat surprising to see someone in McNair's position speak so frankly about it.

The Texans are hoping to compete with the Pats for a playoff spot in the AFC, and they will face them in what could be a pivotal game Dec. 13.

Follow @MikeChiari on Twitter.

Steelers got a LOT better this offseason

TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
Rams Seahawks Football
Mississippi Football
Packers Bears Football

TRENDING ON B/R