
Andre Johnson Comments on Signing with Colts: Top Takeaways and Reaction
Andre Johnson's move to the cross-division rival Indianapolis Colts was all about removing the one remaining hurdle in his Hall of Fame career: winning a Super Bowl. The seven-time Pro Bowler said as much Wednesday as he was announced as the latest high-profile veteran signing in Indianapolis.
Johnson signed a three-year, $21 million contract, per ESPN's Josina Anderson, and joins fellow Miami product Frank Gore as the Colts' second offensive addition of the offseason. Johnson, who flew with Gore to Indianapolis on Tuesday, said the two viewed Indianapolis as a burgeoning title contender, per Kevin Bowen of Colts.com:
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
The No. 3 overall selection in the 2003 draft, Johnson spent his first 11 NFL seasons with the Houston Texans. He made 85 receptions for 936 yards and three touchdowns in 2014, failing to lead the team in receiving for just the second time in his career—the first not directly caused by injury.
With third-year receiver DeAndre Hopkins taking over the No. 1 role, Johnson's departure from Houston was sealed when head coach Bill O'Brien informed him not even his starting job was guaranteed.

"I just laughed," Johnson told Jerome Solomon of the Houston Chronicle. "They gave me my role, and I just laughed at them. How do you tell a guy who is used to catching 80 balls a year that he was going to catch 40?"
Johnson will be a clear No. 2 receiver behind T.Y. Hilton in Indianapolis, all while replacing another future Hall of Famer shown the door early. The Colts announced stalwart Reggie Wayne would not return after 14 seasons last week. Wayne, who has struggled with injuries the last two seasons, made 64 receptions for 778 yards in 2014.
Johnson said Wayne still had nothing but glowing things to say about the organization despite the unceremonious exit, per Colts reporter Steve Andress:
What's clear is that Johnson will be receiving balls from the best quarterback he's ever played with. Andrew Luck has made the Pro Bowl in each of his first three NFL seasons, which is already one more than Matt Schaub, the closest thing Johnson's ever had to an elite option under center. Luck threw for 4,761 yards and 40 touchdowns against 16 interceptions last season, leading the Colts to their second straight division title.
Johnson made it very clear Luck played a huge factor in his decision-making:
While the mood is celebratory now, it'll be interesting to see if this move makes more headlines than on-field difference. Football Outsiders' DVOA metric ranked Johnson 81st among its 87 qualifying receivers last season; he ranked next to last in DYAR. Pro Football Focus was a little more bullish but ranked Johnson 40th.
If the output is similar next season, the Colts will have to re-evaluate whether he's worth $7 million per season. For now, it's all smiles and handshakes in Indianapolis.
Follow Tyler Conway (@tylerconway22) on Twitter

.png)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)