
National Organization for Women Calls for Roger Goodell to Resign
National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell is now facing further pressure as he struggles to handle the fallout from the response to the Ray Rice domestic violence case.
The National Organization for Women released a statement Tuesday seeking his resignation. It cites not only the Rice issue, but also alleged crimes against women involving Ray McDonald, Greg Hardy and Jerry Jones. The Rice case drew national attention after Goodell initially suspended the now-former Baltimore Ravens running back for just two games.
While NOW wants the commissioner to step down, the group also seeks additional reforms in a league it says has a "violence against women problem":
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
"The only workable solution is for Roger Goodell to resign, and for his successor to appoint an independent investigator with full authority to gather factual data about domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking within the NFL community, and to recommend real and lasting reforms.
"
Ann Killion of the San Francisco Chronicle and Tod Robberson of The Dallas Morning News are among a growing number of people who have publicly stated Goodell should resign.
The latest line of criticism comes after TMZ obtained and released a graphic video apparently showing Rice punching Janay Palmer, who has since become his wife, in a hotel elevator.
Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network provided a statement Goodell released to the owners on Wednesday regarding the Rice situation:
Goodell sat down for an interview with Norah O'Donnell of CBS This Morning and reiterated that nobody from the league, as far as he knew, had previously seen the tape:
"No one in the NFL, to my knowledge, and I had been asked that same question and the answer to that is no. We were not granted that. We were told that was not something we would have access to. On multiple occasions, we asked for it. And on multiple occasions we were told no. I understand that there may be legal restrictions on them sharing that with us. And we've heard that from attorneys general and former attorneys general.
"
The commissioner said he had made a mistake when he decided on the initial "insufficient" two-game punishment for Rice. He also admitted that the league has a problem with domestic violence, saying, "One case is too many."
When asked whether he believed his job was in danger amid the mounting criticism, Goodell said no.
It's unclear whether that stance will change with a key organization like NOW joining those calling for him to step down from the job down he's held since 2006.
However, the pressure is rising on Goodell, and NOW's statement will certainly increase the scrutiny and discussion surrounding the commissioner's position within the league.

.png)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)